Falling Apart (Imagine #6)

(A/N A story in which your children struggle due to fighting. Ryder is 12, Rose is 9.)

Ryder's P.O.V.

I sat on my little sister's bed, holding her as she cried. Mom and Dad were having yet another fight. Screams were the only thing heard throughout the house. That, and Rosie's whimpers. "It's gonna be ok, Rose," I comforted her, rubbing a hand along her back. "They're gonna work it out."

"Who are we kidding, Ryde?" she cried harder. "They're just gonna get a divorce like every other mom and dad."

A part of me knew she was right, but I didn't want to confirm those thoughts and make her more upset. So I just stayed quiet.

The screaming subsided, a loud slamming of a door making both Rosie and I jump. We knew what that meant. They had ticked each other off to the point that mom stormed off to the bedroom while Dad stayed on the couch. Only God knows the last time they slept in the same bed.

Rosie's door opened slowly, a creak sounding. The open door revealed a disheveled version of our father. He slipped into the room quietly, a look of shame taking over his face. "I'm so sorry, you guys," he sighed.

"Let me guess, you're sleeping on the couch again tonight?" I asked in a joking manner, even though we all knew I was right.

"No, I think I'll be in the doghouse tonight," he proceeded with the joke.

"I don't think Teddy would want to share," I commented. Teddy was our 5 year old golden retriever. We all smiled, yet it didn't reach either of our eyes. Rose was hit with another wave of sadness, which caused her to run to Dad. He bent down to her level, and she crashed into his chest. She sobbed harder than she had all night. I could see the guilt on Dad's face.

"Don't leave us, Daddy," she cried. "I don't want you and Mom to get divorced."

"Hey, no one ever said anything about divorce," he soothed, rubbing her back like I had just a few minutes ago. "I'm not going anywhere, Princess. I'm gonna try to fix this."

"Good luck with that," I murmured. Dad gave me a look that told me I probably shouldn't have said that. Oh well, too late.

"Get some sleep, baby girl. You too, champ," Dad suggested, standing back up.

"We'll try. Tell Teddy I said hi," I smiled. Dad rolled his eyes and shook his head with a smile. He left, shutting the door softly behind him.

"Ryder?" Rose asked.

"What's up?" I responded.

"Will you stay with me tonight?"

"Sure," I smiled as I laid on the opposite end of the bed. "Just don't kick me in the face in your sleep."

"Same goes for you."

"Goodnight, Rosie."

"Night, Ryder."

-The Next Morning-

"Ryde?" A voice snapped me out of my dazed state. My eyes focused on my now-soggy bowl of fruit loops. The spongey pieces of cereal floated around in a green-colored milk. I realized it was my mom talking to me. "Did you not sleep last night? You've got bags under your eyes, baby." She held my chin in her palm, examining my tired face.

"I'm fine, Mom," I sighed. She ran her fingers through my hair to soothe me. She's done that for as long as I can remember.

"Well, go get your bag. The bus will be here soon."

I followed her orders and grabbed my book bag. Rosie and I walked out the front door and hopped on the bus when it pulled up to the house. I took a seat towards the middle, immediately plugging in my earbuds. My forehead rested against the window, hoping to get a small nap in before we reached school.

After a few minutes, one of my earbuds was yanked out of my ear. It was Chase: my bully since the beginning of school. I rolled my eyes and turned away.

"What's up, Ryder?" he asked in a mocking manner.

"Leave me alone, Chase," I mumbled, still not making eye contact.

"Why such a sour puss, Lynch?" he teased, making my blood start to boil. "Oh, I know. You're too tired to deal with me cause Mommy and Daddy kept you up all night fighting."

"Shut the hell up, Chase!" I yelled, catching the attention of the other kids. I finally made eye contact with him. He seemed a bit taken aback that I was defending myself. "The only reason you pick on me is because Mommy and Daddy beat you at home. I'm sick of being your anger outlet. Find someone else to bother."

The other kids started to whisper to each other.

"Did you hear what he said?"

"Do Chase's parents really beat him?"

"Ryder's in for it."

Chase's face was full of rage. If this was a cartoon, smoke would be blowing out of his ears. Since I was right, and he knew it, his only defense was to lay a right hook across my cheek. The other kids gasped, gawking desperately in hopes a fight would break out. I finally snapped, tackling him down to the ground. We landed in the aisle. He hit his head off of the floor, stunning him and giving me the advantage. I laid a few punches on his face, until he jabbed me in the eye. I fell back, landing on the floor.

I hadn't even noticed the bus stopped until the other kids parted from the aisle like the Red Sea. The bus driver was stomping towards us, and boy, was she fuming. "Boys, principal's office! Now!" she yelled as she dragged us up by our collars.

I'll never hear the end of this from Mom.