Meeting Merlok

Clay walked into the class and was happy to see that all his new friends were in his class. His teacher, Merlok, was a kind man with a blue wizard hat, blue robe, and a long white beard. Merlok was one of those remarkable people who appreciates every single child for he or she is. He may be a wizard and should be teaching future wizards but he decided to teach future knights.

 Even Ava and Robin were in his class. Merlok noticed that Ava and Robin were sad about their destroyed project. "Ava, Robin, I know you two worked hard on your projects but don't fret. I have a copy of your plans to help the future knights of Knighton. I will protect them." Merlok told them. Ava and Robin smiled at their teacher. "Thanks, Merlok."

Merlok nodded at the two as they took their seats. Merlok then noticed a new student with Macy. 'He looks familiar. But where have I seen him?' Merlok thought to himself. He shook it off since he had to start class. "Alright everyone, we have a new student with us today. This is Clay WOrmwood. I'd like you to sit over here with Macy, Axl, Aaron, and Lance." He said while pointing to an empty seat next to Macy. Merlok went to the front of the class as Clay took his seat. "Now, you all remember how scary the first day of school is. So, please be nice to Clay. Make sure he feels welcome. Aaron, please get Clay a manual and workbook."

"All right, Merlok," Aaron said as he went to the shelf where the extra books are.

Merlok was not only a wonderful teacher but a great wizard too. He took Jestro in when he found him on the streets begging for food. But his and Jestro's life is not as simple as it seems. Merlok has a dark secret. He has only told part of it to Jestro but does not want to scare him with the full story. Although Merlok is still saddened by this dark secret, he does not let it interfere with his school life.

Merlok looked at Clay and smiled but noticed something odd about Clay. 'Odd, he kind of looks like...' Merlok took those thoughts out of his head. He knew that what he is thinking isn't true. "Clay, you've arrived at such a good time. We're going to review what we've learned. It is alright if you do not understand any of it, as this is only your first day, but don't be afraid to raise your hand if you do understand." Merlok stood up, grabbed his wand, and looked at his class. "We've been working on our two times tables, would anyone like to demonstrate for Clay?" The whole class raised their hands in excitement. Merlok smiled proudly. "Alright then. Two times four is?"

"Eight."

Merlok nodded. "Two times six is?"

"Twelve!"

"Two times nine is?"

"EIghteen!"

"Excellent, you've been practicing, pretty soon you shall be able to do any multiplication, whether it's two times seven..."

"Fourteen!"

Merlok smiled as he nodded. "Very good, or 13 times 379."  All of the children laughed, except for one. Clay was already calculating the answer in his head. "4927..." He quieted down as soon as he realized that the rest of the class didn't have the answer. The entire class looked at him confused. 

"Excuse me?" Merlok said also confused. "I think that's the answer... 13 times 379... 4927..." None of the students questioned him instead they looked at Merlok for the answer. Merlok proceeded to grab a nearby journal and pencil and started to write the equation down to solve it. This took him a few minutes but he came up with the same answer. He set the journal down and look at Clay in shock. "It is..."

"Whoa..." Macy, Aaron, Axl, Lance, and Jestro looked at their new friend in awe. "Clay, you know how to multiply big numbers?" Merlok asked impressed that such a child ended up in his class. Not too many adults could multiply in their hands.