Chapter 13: Decisions, Decisions

With Timbaland steel toe work boots on their feet, tool belts hanging from their hips, and the bright colored neon yellow-orange vests over their shoulders, the men on Shawn Keys' job site were working hard, sweat running down their faces on the h...

With Timbaland steel toe work boots on their feet, tool belts hanging from their hips, and the bright colored neon yellow-orange vests over their shoulders, the men on Shawn Keys' job site were working hard, sweat running down their faces on the hot New York day.

Apprentices and their journeymen wandered around, doing what they did best. Whether it be electrical, cement, carpentry, etc, the men worked like a nest of busy bees.

Shawn looked at the large group of men--some high up in the framework of the building, while others were on the ground—proud of the men he had hired. Most of them had been working for Apex since before Shawn's dad was killed, but he had to add some more payrolls to the mix as they started getting bigger contracts.

Bradley looked around the job site for himself and noted that he was very high up; and he hated it. The view of the Upper East Side was great and sure he wasn't afraid of heights, but that didn't mean he didn't hate the possibility of falling, harness or no harness.

He was a couple stories higher than Sam was as he worked with other men to set up the frame of the 20th floor; the 20th floor being the last floor of the office building.

Sam was up on a harness as well, hanging more metal pans on trusses for concrete to be poured for the 17th floor.

Bradley screwed the large diameter nut into the metal framework of the floor, before placing in the washer and bolt that would —in the end— prevent the floor from collapsing in the future. Other men took his spot to tighten the nuts as he cautiously walked along the thin metal tresses of the frame to accomplish the same thing at other points of the framework.

When he was finished with the flooring, Sam's group moved up to the 20th floor in order to lay down the metal pans along the frames so that the group who poured the concrete could do so, level out the thick liquid, and get rid of any air bubbles.

Sam couldn't help but laugh to himself about the random thought that passed through his mind: the thought that if he weren't working with Bradley and Shawn, he'd no doubt be a mercenary full-time.

Sam's temper was known to get him into trouble, so working for an asshole employer in the big city was the last thing he could do. So, he figured that working for his best friend was in everyone's best interest—especially if he wanted to remain out of jail.