The house felt dead, cold, had no life in it, and was dark, I wasn't sure how long I would last alone in a house that once used to be filled with warmth and comfort before everything went downhill. At nights I could almost hear Mom's light laughter as she spoke with Dad and joked with her, even their fun bickering plays in the back of my mind and projects around the house as if they're still here. With me.

I regret the months I pushed them away after the things I found out about this new life, those months wasted of me turning cold and unrecognizable, I could have been in their arms being reassured that everything was going to be fine as they held me, giving me the love I desperately craved rather than feeling betrayed from something being kept from me. Maybe, if I wasn't so damn stubborn, everything would have worked out differently.

(A/N: literally tearing up, right now)

I move toward the window of the back door, looking out into the wonderland of snow and trees, the memory of the first encounter with a wolf still fresh in my brain. Mason has tried his best to build that relationship between us back up, and now that he's the only person left that I can look toward, I'll have to make an effort as well.

Suddenly the front door slammed open, banging against the wall, my heart lurched as I whipped around to see Mason stomping through the door with tense muscles and a hard expression. He looks around the room before he gaze falls on me.

"Where's Xavier?"

I pint up the stairs the same moment footsteps are heard at the top of them.

"What's with all the noise?" a moment of silence is passed. "What do you want, Mason?"

My brother's eyes flicker towards me before looking back out the door and nodding his head, he then walks up the steps, disappearing with Xavier somewhere in the house and out of earshot to me. I strain my ears to hear their footsteps moving to the far end of the house.

Heaving a sigh, I look out past the open door and see two unknown men, shirtless and standing stotic at the door; guarding it. I walk away from the back door and into the living room, I look up the steps, wondering what they could be talking about.

It didn't take long before the both of them were coming down the stairs, wearing the same expression, Xavier's more angered then stressed. Mason doesn't cast me a glance as he moves from toward the door while Xavier makes his way over to me.

"I have to go."

I snap my eyes away from the door and to Xavier, my eyes widen at his words.

"What?" I ask, breathless.

His jaw locks as he moves closer, "There's been another breach, on all surrounding borders, and my Dad needs everyone on standby."

My mouth opens and closes, unsure of what to say or what to think. I flicked my gaze back outside the door where Mason was standing with his arms crossed and staring out into the woods.

"I don't want to leave you alone, not after getting you back," he whispers, pressing his forehead against mine. A rumble in his chest crawling up his throat.

"But I have to." Xavier breathes through his nose, shutting his eyes. "So, I called a few people to come and stay here with you."

"Xavier. . ."

His fingers dig into my cheeks, bringing our faces closer 'til out noses were touches and breathing the same air. "Please do not go outside, I can't afford to lose you, I will not go through that. Promise me, Abigail?"

I suck my bottom lip into my mouth, my heart hammering in my chest, he pulls it free and rubs his thumb across my cheek.

"Abigail?"

I nod, "I promise."

"Xavier, we have to go. Now." Mason calls out.

With a growl, he pulls me into a searing kiss, teeth nibbling at my lips and taking my breath away. Heat coursed through my veins, warming my chilled heart and frozen mind that runs a mile a second for him, butterflies roll in the pit of my stomach, his lips moving with mine in a fast then slow pace creating a sensual dance that our hearts beat to.

"Xavier!"

He pulls away with a sigh, my body buzzing with the afterglow, and with a last lingering kiss, he pulls away.

"I love you," he mumbles, every word holding its meaning.

It was too late for me to register what he said by the time the door closed and he was gone.

~ ✎ ~ ✎ ~

The sad part comes next chapter 😥 don't hate me, okay?

Soooo there are like two to three chapters left before I end it all 🙏🔥 I can't be happy enjoy and I am so proud of my book for coming so far an for many people to be reading it, I can finally focus on other books such as "Fur vs Skin".

And speaking of that book, chapter two is already out on Inkitt while the wattpad version won't be out until Furry Humans is done! If you want to read ahead, go to my bio and find the link there 🔥🤗❤️

Hoped you all enjoyed this chapter! The next one will Tug at your heartstrings

---

p.s- thanks a bunch for 60k 😍