Graduation

Dean

"Are you alright, Dean?" Jo was waiting at my door, unable to put together any words that would make what just happened better.

"I can't believe he would stoop so low." My sister sat beside me, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. "I can't believe he would try to use Cas like that. To say he was alive. To suggest he was going to hurt me." I shook my head. John's words echoed over and over in my head. Your boyfriend, Castiel. He's still alive. You have to run; they're coming for you. He didn't get to say another word. "Have you heard anything?"

Jo shook her head. "He's not saying anything else. Dean, you don't think he could be right, do you?"

"Do I believe my crazy father who has never been honest with me when he's saying someone I love isn't dead? Jo, they found Cas. As much as I want him to be alive, he's not. There's no use in believing more of John's lies."

"I'm really sorry, Dean. I wish things were different."

"Me too."

•••

Sam slid between me and Jo in the backseat of the car. We were on our way to graduation, then a few months of relaxation before Jo and I were off to college. I touched my necklaces. It felt like I was leaving Cas behind, but I knew that was the only way I was going to be able to keep going. I couldn't move on with his ghost haunting me in Glen Rock. My little brother noticed my hand touch the pendants under my gown. "Is Cas's family coming tonight?"

I nodded. We sent enough invitations for the Novaks about a month ago, hoping they would make it. As of the beginning of the week, everyone was coming but Alfie and Chuck. It was too late for the youngest Novak to be out, and Chuck had to work early the next morning. He offered to stay home with Alfie so Naomi could spend her night off in Glen Rock. Anna wasn't supposed to come either, but she begged to. I had to admit, it wouldn't have been the same without her. "They're family, Sammy. Of course they're coming."

Jo reached over our brother to take my hand. "Are you going to be okay?"

She'd been asking me that a lot. "Yes. It'll be like Cas is graduating with us. It'll be like he's right beside me, like he should be."

Mom and Dad got in the front seats. Mom was already crying; Dad was trying to hide his own tears before he started driving. "My babies are growing up."

"Come on, Mom. You know I'm not going anywhere," Jo said with a grin. "I'm just moving a little farther down campus."

"And what about me?" Sam complained. "You act like I'm moving away already."

"Yeah, you're still stuck with them, guys."

The car fell silent as Dad pulled out of the driveway. "We're going to miss you, son."

"I'm going to miss you too." I squeezed Jo's hand and nudged Sam's shoulder. "But I'll just be a portal away. It'll be like I'm back in the dorms again."

We drove the whole way to the school in silence, only the radio playing quietly filled the tense air. This family had found a way to stay together all this time, despite everything. Why did it feel like I was the thing that was breaking us apart?

Maybe I was. Maybe I was being selfish, but I couldn't stay at home after... everything.

This is supposed to be a happy day, what am I doing?