Cards & Christmas

Cas

I was going to kill Dean if I heard him complain about his project one more time. He was seriously getting on my nerves, which took some talent. I thought that if I could handle all of my siblings on a daily basis, I could handle anything; apparently Dean was the exception. I was never happier when the project was over, and Dean's powers were returned to him. Of course, after that, he would light and extinguish fires randomly throughout the day. He seemed fascinated by his own powers, appreciated them more now. I guess that was a good thing, though.

The only thing that was better than my reprieve from Dean's complaining was the fact that the day after was Christmas break. I didn't quite miss home, I actually didn't want to go back there anytime soon, but I loved Christmas. There was always a type of magic in the air around the holiday season, one I would never be able to find anywhere else. It only seemed fitting to share that magic with Dean; he had the same idea too.

He actually asked me first. Between his bouts of complaints, he told me how much he wanted to spend Christmas with me. Dean even admitted that he didn't want to spend two and a half weeks away from me. We ended up compromising with our families and decided to spend a week at my house, a week at Dean's, and the last few days apart. Somehow our families agreed on this, as long as we split Christmas Day.

Huh. This sounds like a custody agreement.

So, that was how I found myself back in Claydon with Dean by my side.

This is going to be interesting.

°°°

"What do you mean you've never watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas?"

Dean let out a little puff of air that brushed against my face. We were laying in my room after dinner with only a lamp on, not wanting to go to sleep just yet. "I've watched the Jim Carrey one, just not the cartoon."

"But that's a classic Christmas movie! How could you not-" I was interrupted by someone pounding on the opposite side of the wall. "I think Michael wants us to shut up."

"Yeah, but your brother already hates me, so let's ignore him. What were you saying about Christmas Eve?"

I tightened my grip on Dean's waist, nuzzling my face into his chest. "We have this tradition where we spend the night leading up to Christmas watching a bunch of movies. We also do that on Christmas Day, but those are different types of movies."

"Different types?"

"Yes. Like A Christmas Story is a Christmas Day movie. Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman are too. But A Christmas Carol and Grinch and the Polar Express are all for Christmas Eve."

"Hm." He drew out the sound for a long time, running his thumb over the bare skin where my shirt was riding up above my hips. "I don't understand what the difference is."

"Anticipation versus celebration, Dean. You'll get it later."

"I don't understand you sometimes." I looked up at him. "Hey, that's not a bad thing. The more I don't understand about you, the more there is to learn. And I love learning new things about you."

I grinned. "You're so cheesy."

"You love it, though."

"Maybe."