Friday Nights & Football

Cas

Things were different after that. Who would've guessed that such a simple thing as Dean asking me to a dance would change so much? He looked so happy throughout school the next day, and he seemed to melt a little every time our eyes met. I grew used to seeing that amazing shade of green each time I looked up. I couldn't help the butterflies that were released every time it happened either. My body seemed to react without permission: my heartbeat speeding, my cheeks growing warm, my hands sparking. I absolutely loved it. I loved feeling this way again.

I'd do just about anything at that point to feel that way and to see Dean happy. So, this morning, I texted him as soon as I got up and told him good morning. Dean responded quite quickly, and we talked a bit before I got to what I really texted him about.

To Dean:
Do you want to walk to school together? And maybe get some coffee?

I thought he wasn't going to answer, but a text came in after a few minutes.

From Dean:
Yeah. I'm ready whenever you are

I finished getting ready and went next door. The following half an hour was filled with laughter and a couple dozen topics that circled back to tonight's game.

"I haven't been to Oregon since freshman year when we played against Maxwell High."

"Before the game, I've got to take you to this place that has the best cupcakes I've ever had. Maxwell is famous for them." He sighed, taking a long drink of coffee. "Every paratas town is known for something: Maxwell has its cupcakes, we have probably the best educational system in the country, apparently Ohio has chocolate. What did California have?"

"You haven't lived until you've seen the sun set over the ocean. There's this one spot on the beach that we would go to where the water looks like it's aflame, and the whole sky turns this gorgeous orange."

"We?" Dean questioned after another drink.

I didn't realize I said that. Levi and I used to go there all the time before everything happened. "My family," I lied. Dean seemed to believe me.

The topic changed quickly, yet it wasn't an awkward transition. We talked until our coffees were gone and we had to get to first block. As we walked together, it seemed like everyone we passed stared at us. I could practically hear the thoughts forming in their minds, thoughts about me and Dean. They were wondering if we were dating. They were wanting to know the story behind everything. They were wanting to know how we went from me hating him to walking so intimately together. I could practically see the question marks over their heads. Well, I was going to let them keep wondering.

Dean

Cas caught me on my way out of fourth block, questioning me about the game. "Go ahead and change. I've got some stuff I have to do at the field, then I can meet you in the band room in about an hour."

When I got to the football field, Benny was waiting. "How do you always beat me here? Calculus is, like, twenty feet closer to the doors than Anatomy."

"Maybe because I can actually focus around the person I like. I can see the way you move when he's in the room; you walk slower like you're waiting for him to stop you. You'd actually get things done if he didn't take over your head every time you saw him."

"Okay, Sherlock. I didn't come here for you to analyze everything I do. Are you going to help me out or not?"

Benny rolled his eyes, yet he was grinning. We had to get all of the uniforms and equipment to the portal office, conveniently located right off campus. Lucky for us, the trip wasn't too long, and Dad left me the keys to the ATV at the field. Soon enough, we were finished, meaning I could get back to my room to change out of my school uniform. I didn't put much thought into what I was wearing; I was going to have to change again in two hours anyways. I ended up in a pair of faded jeans and this year's marching band shirt.