~Chapter Thirteen~

Start from the beginning

I knew in that moment, Sabine Harlow was special.

I made all of the formal introductions between everyone and Sabine, even though they knew her from work. This was somehow different, and I wanted her to know that I was officially, introducing her to my family. . . .

She looked up at me with a gaze that communicated without words, that she knew.

I ran my hand through my hair, as I suddenly became a jumble of nerves. I extended my arm to Sabine to escort her into the formal dining room. "You look beautiful," I whispered low and close to her ear.

"Why, thank you." She blushed a complimentary shade.

              *****

Sabine

I woke up bright and early this morning, rising with the giant yellow beaming sun. I wondered out loud, "What am I doing accepting an invitation to have breakfast at Carrington Ranch?"

I'm not refined in table etiquette. I didn't grow up in one of the richest families in Dallas. The Carringtons are very down to earth, but it still is nerve racking dining with them, in their home. Mrs. Carrington was kind enough to invite me. I couldn't think of a good reason to say, no.

I'm also anticipating spending time with Shayne, around his family.

I sprung out of bed and started searching through my closet for the perfect outfit. I couldn't help giggling like a school girl, thinking about that singular word. I will forever associate it with, him.

I found a pretty white sundress, with various colored spring flowers embroidered along the bottom. I paired white wedges with it, and wore my long dark hair straight. I did my makeup, grabbed my car keys, and quickly left my apartment. I decided to stop by my local florist, and purchase a nice floral arrangement to bring to Mrs. Carrington. My mom always taught me, it was good manners to bring flowers to the hostess when I was invited to their home.

My heart beat in a disjointed rhythm, as I approached the ranch. It was indeed impressive, and everything I imagined it would be for a family like the Carringtons. It stood tall, and gleaming like a beacon against the magnificent green landscape. This ranch was striking and called for your attention. It was everything that is regal. I instantly fell in love with this estate.

I pulled into the gravel circular driveway, with the small rocks crunching underneath my tires. I noted that all of the family's cars were already here. I started taking deep breaths in and out, to calm myself. Once I parked my car, I gave myself a mental pep talk before getting out.

I rang the doorbell. "Good morning Sabine, welcome to Carrington Ranch." I was greeted immediately, by Shayne with a beaming smile on full display.

I stepped inside, and Mrs. Carrington hugged me so endearingly. I see why everyone adores her. She was so touched, that I brought her a bouquet of flowers. She actually teared up.

Shayne introduced me to all of his family, as if I didn't know them already. I thought that was one of the sweetest gestures ever. He made me feel like I was important to him.

Bianca dipped a quick courtesy, like I was from the British aristocracy. "A pleasure to meet you Mi lady." She winked, with a dazzling smile.

"This is my nephew Tre. He is Brody and Sheila's son. All of my other nieces and nephews are otherwise occupied today. So, Tre will represent for the teenagers." He squeezed his shoulders and Tre held his head up proudly, winking at Shayne.

"I'm Shayne's aunt Rachel. I'm Brody's momma. I'm so happy that you could join us for breakfast and that Shayne, finally stopped this bachelor nonsense." Aunt Rachel didn't wait for an introduction and she definitely speaks her mind.

"Why don't we all take our seats in the dining room, breakfast will be served." Ava quickly announced—I think she was rescuing Shayne.

He held out his arm for me, to escort me into the formal dining room. "You look beautiful," he whispered with his lips close to my ear.

"Why, thank you." I blushed nervously.

Their home was gorgeous! I took note of the grand foyer, with the spiral staircase and marble floors. The dining room had large palladium windows, from floor to ceiling. I liked this room, it had an open and airy feel. This home had a very welcoming feeling. The buffet was set up, with every breakfast food imaginable. I had heard about it, but it's nothing like being here.

Shayne downed his glass of orange juice. "Would you like to come up to the buffet with me to make your plate?"

"You don't have to ask me twice." I nudged his elbow.

He gave me a look in return, with his steel grey eyes that made me want to melt into a puddle of some sort.

Man, was he incredibly handsome. And he had on my favorite cologne, that he wears.

         *****

Breakfast was delicious and my company was even better. Everyone was so friendly and Ava was so hospitable to me. The Carringtons have to be the most down to earth people that I know, especially to be so wealthy. I heard how Grey met Kendall, Colton met Andrea, Brody met Sheila, and I already knew how Colin met Bianca.

"So now, we'll have to hear about you and Sabine and how you two got together." Rachel looked at Shayne, clapping her hands. She placed her elbows on the table, with her hands under her chin. She had such a wistful look in her beautiful aquamarine eyes.

Colin was holding back his laughter, and Bianca elbowed him in the ribs.

"Momma, why don't we save their story for the next breakfast. They're still getting to know each other." Brody made a quick save, and Grey winked at his cousin.

This family is too funny for words, and nothing at all like I imagined. It was a special treat to see them in their element. The bond that exists between the cousins, their wives, and the two Matriarchs is unimaginable! I was so honored to be included.

Shayne passed me a note under the table, like we were in school. The note said, "Would you like to take a tour of the estate?"

I leaned in. "May I please borrow your pen?"

He slowly, slid the pen into my hand, touching my finger tips. His brief touch gave me spine-tingling chills.

I wrote on the same piece of paper. "I would love to go on a tour with you." I slipped the piece of paper, and pen back to him.

He read my response and whispered, "Awesome," his eyes smiled into mine.

I loved seeing his playful side—this is such a wonderful experience.

I now know, I totally misjudged Shayne. I'm happy I got a chance to see him up close and personal.

"Shayne, why don't you take Sabine on a tour of the estate?" Ava directed her attention to him, as she asked in such a loving tone. I could see her motherly gleam in her eyes.

He stood from his chair and pulled out mine. "Great minds think alike. I had just asked Sabine, if she'd like to go on a tour with me." He blew his aunt Ava a kiss from across the table and mouthed, "I love you," he wasn't exaggerating how important she is to him.

He held my hand. "Shall we start our tour, Miss Harlow?"

Colton wagged his finger. "Don't you two kids be gone too long. We don't want to send out the Carrington search party." He actually joked. I had no clue Colton made jokes. He's always so serious at work.

"They'll be fine. Besides, my Shayne is a perfect gentleman." Ava spoke up, and arched an eyebrow at Colton.

Everyone smiled, including me, as Shayne and I left the dining room hand in hand. . . .

Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️