𝟐𝟐. 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐎𝐔𝐓

Start from the beginning

"I'm a hybrid, I think we're good." Tyler reminded the room proudly, flashing his amber eyes at all of us. His resentment became dormant once he realised he could have the perks of being a vampire-werewolf and break the sire bond.

On instinct, I rolled my baby blues. "There could be a dust bunny collector hiding upstairs and you would run screaming." I mocked. "You two idiots couldn't even kill a tiny little spider last I saw — how would you handle a psychotic vampire hell-bent on killing the doppelgänger?" I retaliated, recalling the first encounter I shared with the two jocks. The two of them were caught off guard and I had to remove a spider from the pool table at The Grill.

"It was only one time." Matt defend, knowing that I would never let that incident be forgotten. "And, it was very big and very furry." He shivered, inching his fingers apart to demonstrate the immense size of the spider.

I repressed a small scoff, settling to brush past the boy and take the lead in searching the Gilbert residence for what goes bump in the night.

✧࿐ ཾ✧

'Divide and conquer' was our method. Matt took two bedrooms — Jeremy's plus the guest space — and Tyler tackled the bathrooms whilst I covered Elena's bedroom. Despite being the most able, I had the least ground to cover and decided to interrogate an isolated Matt after I did my own thorough search. His earlier attitude had me on edge, I knew better than to ignore a neon warning sign like out of character behaviour. As long as he was with Tyler, he was untouchable and that was why I chose to seize the opportunity when he was alone.

The sound of a human heartbeat guided me to the Donovan boy. When the door to Jeremy Gilbert's bedroom creaked open, Matt's hand flew against his hammering heart, considerably startled. "Lottie," he gawked in relief. "You scared me." He exhaled, covering his mild shock with a rather throaty laugh.

"Elena's room is clear." I confirmed, aiming to appear nonchalant. Deliberately, I turned around as if I were to leave before hesitating at the last moment. "You're jumpy." I stated, cocking my head to the left to hide the accusation in my tone. "Is something wrong? And, don't forget, I can hear your heartbeat." I strolled into the room, warning him against spewing out a white lie.

"No." Matt replied, his voice rising an octave. "I mean, no, nothing's wrong." He cemented, ensuring there was more strength to his voice.

In disappointment, I shook my head. "I hate liars, Matt." I confessed, intimidating the teenager in spite of him towering over me in height. "You can answer truthfully, or I'll find out the fun way. Well, fun for me." I threatened, my face transforming to one of a vampire in front of his incredulous eyes.

"Wait, we're on the same team." He pleaded, slowly retreating backwards. His face shifted into one of horror when his body collided with Jeremy's desk — he was cornered.

"I'm on my own team." I fired back, pursuing the boy like he was my prey. Of course I had no intentions to harm him, I wasn't a monster, but I did want to scare him into obedience. He was conspiring something and I needed to know what. Deep down, Matt Donovan was a good person, but he had also killed vampires. It was best to investigate because I was at risk considering neither of us were bound by loyalties. We were only acquaintances.

Raising his hands in surrender, Matt met my blood-infused eyes for the first time. "I want to get Elena out of the town." He revealed. "She's died once and will die again with a family of ancient vampires on her back. If you care about her like I do, you'll help me save her." He bargained.