Chapter 16 - A thousand years

We spend our whole lives worrying about the future, planning for the future, trying to predict the future, as if figuring it out will somehow cushion the blow. But the future is always changing. The future is the home of our deepest fears and wildest hopes. But one thing is certain when it finally reveals itself. The future is never the way we imagined it.

📍Paris, Cristina's car

Cristina's POV - 21 weeks pregnant

Owen was driving my car to get me to the hospital. We were quiet. There were just the radio.

"What would I do without your smart mouth,
Drawing me in, and you kicking me out,
Got my head spinning, no kidding..."

I was confused and a long way off. I was pregnant with his kid and I didn't tell him because he was supposed to be with Amelia and now he's here and I still didn't know why.

"...'Cause all of me
Loves all of you..."

He finally broke the silence.

Owen - So,...who's the father ?

Me - Seriously ? I didn't sleep with anyone else since the night I had "dinner" with you.

Owen -...Why...why didn't you tell me ?

Me - You were supposed to be in Chicago with Amelia !

Owen - So what ?

Me - I couldn't just turn up like that and say "Hey, I'm pregnant with you kid because we slept together when you were supposed to get married."

"...Give your all to me
I'll give my all to you..."

Owen - And you didn't have an abortion ?

Me - Yes, I wanted to. I figured that I wasn't going to tell anyone, I would have the abortion and that's the end of it.

Owen - But ?

Me - But I just...couldn't kill this baby. So I thought about adoption...

Owen - So you don't want this baby.

Me - Owen, I...

Owen - What about me ?!

Me - Please Owen listen to me...

Owen - No ! You should have told me ! It's my child too, you had no right to take this decision alone !!!

Me - OWEN LISTEN TO ME !!! I said "I thought" about the adoption, until the day I felt the baby kicking, it was the best feeling I'd ever had in my life, and I said to myself that maybe I could do this, but now you're here and I'm sure. You're here for me right ?

I saw a huge smile on his face.

"...You're my end and my beginning
Even when I lose I'm winning..."

Owen - Of course I'm here for you. You can't imagine how much I love you.

Silently he approached me and kissed me.

Me -...Owen...Wa...Wait. You're driving and first, I want an explanation. Why are you here and how did you find me ?

Owen - When I was at the airport to go to Chicago with Amelia, I realised that you were the one I wanted. So I left her and I went to Zurich.

Me - But I wasn't there.

Owen - No, I thus went back to Seattle and no one's heard from you. I was so desperate you know. But then you called Meredith and you told her you were in Paris. I came straight here, and I thought maybe you found a job in one of the hospitals in this city. Until I get in St. Louis hospital and a nurse told me where you lived.

Me - I don't work there.

Owen - No, you are a patient.

Me - Yeah...

———————————————————

📍Paris, St. Louis hospital

Owen's POV

Right now, I was the happiest man in the world. I've always wanted kids and Cristina was the love of my life. Now, I had all I've ever wanted.

We had just arrived at the hospital, and I was parking the car.

Me - Can you walk ?

Cristina - Yes, of course. I'm pregnant, not sick.

Me - Yeah but you fainted 30 minutes ago.

Cristina - I'm fine.

Me - Okay let's go.

We came in and the OB ran some tests to see if everything was fine.

The OB - Okay, so you collapsed because of the shock, but mostly because your blood sugar's low. Did you eat this morning ?

Cristina - Er...no.

The OB - It's important that you have a good nutrition and that you don't skip lunch, for you and the baby. Okay ?

Cristina - Yes, of course.

The OB - I'll take an ultrasound to make sure everything's okay.

I was seeing my kid for the first time. I was really moved by that, I had no words to describe what I felt at that moment.

The OB - Would you like to know the gender ?

I looked at Cristina, she nodded her head in agreement.

Me - Yes.

Cristina - We wanna know.

The OB - Okay...You're gonna have a...little girl !

I have died everyday, waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
And all along I believed, I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more.