Instead, I asked myself how the hell he could believe she was his mother.

He must be in here for many years to think that way. But then again, he was just a child, and being here - locked in a house with people that claimed to be his parents - far away from his real family must have confused him. Or maybe he was kidnapped when he was very young. Maybe he was a baby and could not know the difference between what was real and what was not.

I stared at Thomas. He was so young, so innocent... He didn't deserve this. He should be playing with his friends and laughing like a normal child right now.

And by looking at him, I felt anger, so much anger. I wanted to destroy that crazy bitch and her husband for doing this. I wanted them to suffer for all the bad things they had done. I pushed that feeling away so it wouldn't blind me and take control over my actions. That would be letting them win this battle and I couldn't let that happen. I wouldn't.

"Are you alright, Jane? I mean... Kelly."

"Yes, Thomas. I was just thinking about something, never mind..." I mumbled. He smiled at me then, showing some fallen tooth. I couldn't stop myself from smiling as well. It wasn't a real smile, it was more like a ghost of a smile, but even so, it was the first time I smiled since I got here.

"You are really pretty, Kelly." He said, a little embarrassed, his cheeks blushed red.

"Thank you, Thomas. You're really cute too."

Suddenly, he lied down on my lap, his head on top of my legs. It was the first time I was having human contact with someone since a long time. It felt good... Almost like I wasn't lonely anymore, like the pain I felt had become less unbearable, leaving me with a peaceful sensation. He was quiet for a while and I thought he was sleeping when he suddenly asked.

"What's your favorite meal, Kelly?" I was a little taken aback by his question but answered it anyway.

"I don't really have one. I like everything. What about you? What's your favorite?" I asked him, caressing his messy, yet soft hair.

"Even vegetables?" He asked, and I nodded. "I hate it! My favorite meal is definitely chocolate." He said, giggling.

"Really? You know that chocolate isn't really considered a meal, don't you? It's more like a dessert, a sweet."

"Maybe... But I love it anyway." He looked at me, his eyes suddenly shining with something new. "There was a day, when mom, Allison, Vince and I went shopping to get groceries. It was my favorite day of all because mom bought me a big tablet of chocolate." He told me, smiling with a nostalgic expression. I couldn't help noticing that he referred Hannah as Allison, the name they had given her.

His eyes were still shining, probably from remembering that day, and I could only ask myself how a boy could say his favorite day was when his mom bought him a tablet of chocolate. Something so simple, so little, and yet he said it like it was the most wonderful thing that had ever happened to him.

"Wait! You said you went shopping, didn't you?" Thomas nodded, furrowing his small eyebrows, "So you left the house?"

"Y-yes, but that just happens sometimes, when it's really necessary or when mom is happy." He explained. An idea crossed my mind. Maybe if I got to leave the house I could escape. It could be my only chance.

"Kelly, I'm tired. Can I sleep here with you?" He whispered, his eyes begging.

"Of course you can," I said, but then I thought about the risk of someone finding him here and something bad happening. I didn't say anything. I didn't want him to leave. I didn't want to be alone. So I forced myself to close my eyes and tried to rest, feeling Thomas on my lap, sleeping peacefully...