Chapter Sixty-Three

Season 3: Heart of Darkness

 Rosalie tucks a strand of dark brown hair behind her ear as she walks down into the basement of the Salvatore Boarding House. On her right shoulder is Alaric's bag. She rounds the corner to the cellar, where Alaric is being kept. She takes a deep breath before peering through the bars.

"Alaric?" She calls. Alaric sits on the bed with his back against the wall, he looked to be deep in thought.

"Yeah?...Still me" Rosalie unlocks the door and pushes it open. Alaric chuckles.

"You know you shouldn't be in here, defeats the point of the whole being locked in a cellar thing" Rosalie smiles gently.

"I don't think a little company will hurt" Alaric breaths out. She sets the black duffel bag on the ground. "I thought I'd bring you something, nothing special, just necessities, can't spoil you too much" Alaric smiles. Alaric unzips the bag and brings out a book. He covers his mouth and looks up at her.

"Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?" Rosalie snatches book from her history teacher.

"What? I didn't grab this--Damon..." Alaric shakes his head.

"Gotta love his humor" Rosalie sits down beside him. Alaric pats her thigh in a comforting way. He appreciated her efforts to make him feel better. She stares out the door. Rosalie got this cold feeling while looking out the door.

"Are you sure you want to stay in here? You don't here to be in here. It feels lonely" He sighs. He purses his lips, trying to think of words to respond back with.

"This is the right place for me to be, at least until you guys can convince my uncooperative alter ego to fess up to where I--or he hid the white oak stake" Rosalie frowns.

"We looked everywhere, you can thank me by the way. Damon trashed your loft, but I cleaned it up" Alaric chortles. His laughter dies down and he gazes over at the petite girl nervously.

"What's Klaus going to do if you can't find it?" She shrugs.

"I'm not sure. That's the only thing that'll...you know...kill him. With his record, he'll try to make more hybrids...." She leans against his shoulder. She covers her wrists subconsciously. "We'll figure this out" Alaric squeezes her knee.

"I know you will, you aren't one to give up"

"I should probably tell," Rosalie stands up, Alaric's hand sliding back onto his own lap. "Stefan is going to watch over you for a little while. With Klaus knowing where Jeremy is, I just don't feel safe with him being out there alone. Damon and I are going to bring him home" Alaric nods.

"What does Stefan think of this?" Rosalie frowns, looking down at her feet.

"He's the one who came up with it" Alaric raises a brow. "He believes that I have feelings for Damon, even though I've told him multiple times that I don't. I know I don't" Alaric sits up.

"Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than me" Rosalie stares at him. She knew her feelings for Stefan overpowered any feeling she could even have for his brother.

***

Damon drops his duffel bag by the front door, Rosalie's are right next to his. Stefan stands in front of the fire place with his hands tucked into his jacket pockets.

"Heard anything from Klaus?" He asks.

"Not yet. I'm sure I will soon, though" Stefan turns around to face his older brother. "He's expecting me to deliver two stakes" Damon walks down the stairs over to him. "I only have one" Stefan plucks the stake off the glass stand. Damon stares at Stefan.