Chapter Ten (Bazalt Joe)

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I guess you're right... You're not the type to just sell off a friend like that." I smiled, hoping he realized I wouldn't give Hikaru up.

"Well, I've said my piece and I'm sticking to it. I don't want to regret what I've told you here today. Just remember, your ArFA-sys is like any other item here. Anybody who wants it in this game is more than welcome to try to snatch it from you." At these words, my fighting instincts kicked in and I could tell where this was going.

"Watch your step out there. You never know when I might just come for it. And when I do, you'd better be prepared." With that Bazalt Joe walked away. He stepped onto the teleporter and vanished, heading out somewhere in the field. I sighed and shook my head.

"Oh Hikaru... The trouble you bring me... I need to go and grab Kureha and Hikaru. Maybe after beating him up a little will quell his need for Hikaru." I mumbled to myself. I finally made it back to my room.

"Welcome back, Master! Oh? You look troubled." Kureha nodded.

"Yeah, something happen?" I nodded.

"Yeah, Bazalt Joe's after Hikaru. He just stopped me a bit ago and begged me to hand him over. When I said no, he threatened me. So I can only assume he's waiting out in the field so that he can ambush me. You guys wanna come with me and take care of him?" I asked. Kureha nodded.

"Yeah! Count me in. I never would have expected Bazalt Joe to come after your ArFA-sys." I nodded.

"Same here. When he helped us yesterday, I wouldn't have expected him to come after Hikaru the next day." Hikaru stomped his foot down.

"I'm not going anywhere, Master! You're my master and nobody else can take your place!" He exclaimed. My eyes widened at his sudden outburst. I chuckled and nodded.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." We all geared up and headed out to the field. The harsh winds ruffled my hair around. I sighed and brought out a hair-band from my inventory and tied it up.

"Alright, we should keep a close eye out for Bazalt Joe." Kureha stated. I nodded.

"Yeah. We'll show him that Hikaru doesn't want to leave. Maybe if he sees first hand then he'll give up." I stated. We killed the scorpions that normally spawned around the area and continued on our way. When we got to the outskirts of the ruined city, I could spot Bazalt Joe with two other players.

"There you are! I was waiting for you all to come out into the open!" Kureha answered.

"I know what you're after. You want Rei all to yourself! Sorry, but that's not happening. If you want an ArFA-sys, you're going to have to poach somebody else's or just rent one! You're not getting Rei!" Kureha exclaimed. Joe pointed directly at me.

"No can do. All I want is your ArFA-sys, and I ain't budging until I have it!" Hikaru bowed.

"Nope! I refuse to go with you!" Joe gasped in shock.

"I won't lie. I like people who don't beat around the bush." Kureha groaned, placing her hands on her hips and glaring at Joe.

"Can't you get it through your head?! Rei doesn't like you! Period! Just give up! You're starting to be creepy!" Joe shrugged.

"Who's being creepy here?! I promise, even when I own it, it'll be free to do whatever it likes just like it is now." I frowned.

"Even if I were to give you Hikaru, he's registered under my account." I stated.

"I don't give a damn who it's registered to. The fact is, I want it and it's going to be mine come hell or high water!" Hikaru sighed.

"I don't even know where to begin with that mentality, seriously."

"(Y/N)! I challenge you to combat! Right here, right now! Let's go!" I sighed.

"Alright, even though I don't get a choice." I pulled out my silver assault rifle.

"I'll make you a deal. I still want the ArFA-sys if I win this fight. But on the off-chance I lose, I'll give you something nice for your trouble. It'll be worth your while, I promise!" Kureha hummed in thought.

"Hmm... It's a tempting offer. How do you propose we have this little fight of yours?"

"Well, seeing as you all are already teamed up, I was thinking you could take on me and my crew. That work for you?" He responded. Kureha looked to me.

"What do you say, (Y/N)? If you're not up for it, we can always run." I sighed.

"Let's just accept his challenge." Kureha nodded in agreement.

"Yeah. Better to nip this in the bud while we still can. Just be careful. This is a veteran player we're up against here." I chuckled and smirked.

"Did you forget who you're talking to? We've got this. They'll go down and we'll be victorious." I stated. Joe and the two others beside him grabbed their weapons and took cover. We followed suit and did the same. However, there were fewer places for us to hide behind as we were in the more open area. Shots began to be fired.

"Just give up, (Y/N)! Your ArFA-sys will be mine!" I groaned.

"In your dreams, Joe!" I yelled back and stepped out, aiming my sniper rifle at Joe's head and headshotting him before he had the chance to dodge. He was down. Kureha and Hikaru made short work of the other two members of Joe's party. Hikaru gasped and pumped his hands into the air.

"We did it! We won, Master!" He exclaimed. Joe 'tched' in frustration.

"... Fine. I admit defeat. I'll stop badgering you for now." I sweatdropped at that.

"For now... he says..." I mumbled. Joe held out a microchip. I walked up to him and took it.

"As promised, here's your prize for winning." As I walked back, Kureha realizes that Joe was probably going to be showing his face again sometime soon.

"Wait, hold on a minute. What do you mean, "for now"?" She questioned.

"I mean what I said. I got cocky and went too easy on you all because I thought that newbie wouldn't be any good. Mark my words, you haven't seen what I'm really made of." The player with deep red hair placed his hand on his hip.

"Yeah! The boss is even tougher than he looks!" The other player nodded.

"Once he's got his eye on something, he doesn't give up 'til he's got it!" Joe folded his arms and nodded.

"That's right. You'll be seeing me again soon enough, so you better be ready! See you around." I sighed and waved,

"Guess we'll be seeing you later then, Joe." The three walked away towards Glocken. Kureha sighed exasperatedly.

"Of all the players whose attention we could catch, it had to be him..." Hikaru smiled and laughed.

"It sure is tough being popular!" I looked at the chip in my hand. It was a credits chip. I handed it over to Hikaru to hold onto.

"Here, it's a credits chip. So you should probably be able to keep it for me and withdraw the credits on it." Hikaru nodded and took the chip from my hand and placed the balance into my account. I looked over to Kureha.

"Let's head back for today..." Kureha sighed and nodded.

"Yeah."

Sorry for the wait... I actually had the chapter finished, I just hadn't had the time to publish it. Plus, I'd been going crazy waiting for the first DLC to come out for Fatal Bullet. So, with the way I have things planned, there could be potential spoilers a couple chapters ahead. Just depends on if you consider it a spoiler or not. It's not the True End spoilers, so don't worry for those who haven't fully beaten the game yet. There's a lot of interesting things I have planned that are towards the end of the game in the Bullet of Bullets time-frame. So I can't wait to get to that part!