Drake Black - Twenty Seven

Drake paced inside his brother, Roan's office, his mind replaying his confession to Karla

Drake paced inside his brother, Roan's office, his mind replaying his confession to Karla. It had been half-assed and blurted. He hadn't wanted to tell her that way, but damn it, Tate's scent had clung to her and it did something to his brain.

"I scared her away," Drake muttered to no one in particular and not expecting an answer he stuttered to a stop when his brothers calm but deep voice penetrated the silence.

"And how did you manage that, little brother?"

Drake looked up, his eyes shooting past Roan to Tate. He saw red, "why did your scent cling to Karla?" Drake hadn't meant to growl, but damn it, she was his mate! Tate's eyebrows raised in question, but Drake wouldn't take that. Taking a few steps closer, he was nearly nose to nose with the wolf.

"Why. Was. Your. Scent. On. Her?" Drake hissed between clenched teeth. He could see his brother stepping closer in case he needed to intervene, but for the most part, Drake ignored him.

Eyes narrowed, neither man was wanting to concede, but Tate wasn't about to step between mates. "She was walking outside the gates, alone at night. I figured I would make an example of how easy it could have been for an unfriendly to get her, nothing more."
The silence stretched between them until Roan finally stepped forward, planting himself between them. "Drake you need to cool down. You know that Tate wouldn't trespass and I know from reading Karla that she wouldn't allow it."

Drake took a deep breath, the red haze clearing. Taking a small step back he nodded. He had gone apeshit for no reason.

"So now that's cleared up, why don't you tell me how you scared her away?"

"I was waiting in her room when she walked in. At first, I was simply relieved she was back but then I smelt Tate's scent and honestly, I kinda lost it. I told her she was mine and what that would mean if she accepted. I don't know if she was ready for that."

Roam nodded faintly, "I don't think all is lost. I believe she will surprise you."

Drake nodded, "I hope you're right," and everything rested on that hope as he left the room. He had to talk to Karla again, but first, he was detour and find out if Audrey was done talking to her. He fou found Audrey in the family room, talking to his mother.

"You sure laid it on her son," Ziva said with amusement.

"I know," he admitted while hanging his head. He looked to Audrey, "how is she?"

She set her coffee down, sighed and looked him straight in the eyes, "she is confused, rightfully, but I this no she is okay. I came down to grab her a drink but also to give her time to process. It's been ten minutes I would say so why don't you take her that drink."

With more hope than before Drake exited the family room, grabbed a cola from the fridge and made his way up to Karla's room. Once he stood just outside he hesitated for a moment to collect himself then knocked. Her soft voice invited him in and when he opened the door nearly all his breath left him.

Karla was standing near the window, the lighting from the moon just enough to cause her blonde hair to shine as if the mood surrounded her in a halo. Tongue tied, Drake held the drink up, "brought you a drink."

Karla turned, her eyes wide, "oh. Thank you. Eh, do you want to sit and uh, talk?"

Her nervousness was the last thing he wanted, but they needed to talk. Taking a seat on one of the chairs in the room he wondered how he should start, but figured an apology was best. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Karla was shocked, that hadn't been what she expected.

"For blurting that out to you. I hadn't meant to."

"So. You didn't mean it?"

A hint of sadness in her voice and what she had said had Drake standing abruptly. "No! Yes!" Running a hand through his hair he sighed, he was making a mess of this. "I meant what I said. You are my mate, I just didn't mean to say it so bluntly or suddenly. I had figured to give you more time to adjust to me and to what I am. To show you that I wasn't like your ex."

"I just couldn't stand to smell Tate on you and when you walked in I lost it. I am sorry for how it was pushed on you, but I want you as my mate."

The silence nearly killed him, but he managed to keep his mouth shut somehow.

"I know this might sound so crazy, but since I saw you I had this attraction to you. I couldn't understand it. At first, I thought maybe it was because you saved me, protected me, but even after I was safe it didn't go away. It only became more intense." Karla hoped like hell she wasn't making a mistake, but she had nothing to go back to. No home, no job, no family.

She was always strong and confident as Audrey had reminded her and now was no time to be a coward. "I learned about mates and when I began fantasizing about you I felt guilty. My ex cheated on me in my own bed, I didn't want to be like him. Knowing you had a mate out there somewhere made me so unsettled that I wanted to flee."

Her confession broke Drake's heart. He hated that she doubted herself, her feelings and believed that she could be anything like that cheating asshole.

"I don't want to drag up all my baggage, but everyone I have ever put my trust in has betrayed me, except for Audrey. She explained to me her experiences as a mate and I-"

Her stopping had Drake"s heart slowing. And she what? Could she take a risk? She couldn't? His mind reeled with possibilities.