Drake Black - Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Drake watched in silence as Karla ate her chips. His eyes taking in her run down look. He was sure he didn't look any better, but her once white shirt was stained and covered in blood. Her silky blonde hair was matted and nested in spots. Overall, she was in need of a shower.

Thankfully, he'd been expecting it and had gotten clothes for the both of them. He'd lived a long time and knew how to survive in cases such as theirs. No money, clothes, or any other necessitates. "I managed to get clothes if you'd like to shower."

Karla peeked up, she'd managed to avoid his gaze since he'd gotten off the phone an hour ago, but she could feel his eyes on her the entire time. "How did you manage that? We don't have money." Karla waited, but after a few moment's she knew he wasn't going to answer.

Her eyes widened in realization, "you stole them??" She hadn't thought about it before, but now that she was she realized he had to have stolen the food too. Sighing deeply, she nodded. "Alright. A shower sounds great right now... Thank you."

Karla didn't wait but turned towards the bathroom. Once she was in, she shut the door and tried to turn the lock. The damn thing continued to turn. Grunting in disgust over the poor maintenance, she put the clothes in the sink and looked over the tub. It was the cleanest out of everything in the tiny bathroom.

Quickly stripping out of her filthy clothes, Karla turned the knob and adjusted the water to a lukewarm. She felt more in control after eating and drinking, but she felt uneasy. The longer they stayed, the more chance they'd be found. It made her wonder if her life would ever be the same.

A knock at the door had Karla twisting around and grabbing blindly for something to cover herself with. "U-uh, yeah?"

"It's been a while. I'm going to check in and see if the money's in. I won't be long." Drake explained, his mind conjuring up images that made him wish there wasn't a door. Drake heard the small confirmation, turned and walked away from the door before he did something stupid.

Opening the front door, he paused long enough to lock up before shutting the door firmly. It took him little time to walk to the store and little time to receive the money. Now, he just had to find a way to get far enough away that they could hop on a plane.

Feeling uneasy, Drake quickened his pace. When he was within seeing distance he felt a little better. The night air hit his skin and filled his nose. Taking a deep breath, his body went rigid.

Wolves.. and a lot of them. Drake broke into a run. His eyes scanning his surroundings, but he knew that in the dark with as much coverage as there was they could easily hide.

Making it to his room, he knocked. "Karla quickly let me in." Drake could hear his heart pounding. The blood rushing. When he heard the click of the lock, he didn't hesitate to open and shut the door behind him, pushing Karla back.

"We have to leave, now." Drake was glad to see Karla move rather than demand answers, but then he had seen first hand how strong she was. "We're going out the back window and making a run for it."

Karla could barely comprehend what Drake said. Her mind went numb at the pure determination and urgency she heard in Drake's voice. She barely registered that he'd grabbed her hand and was dragging her to the back window.

Drake climbed out the window, turned to help Karla. Seeing the look on her face made him grind his teeth. "We're going to be fine. I promise." Drake helped her through and didn't hesitate to begin running.

He could hear the wolves following. Could hear their harsh breathing.