Drake Black - Five

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Karla was doing everything to keep herself from crying. The cut wasn't necessarily deep from what she could see, but it didn't hurt any less. She'd tried to pull it away from Drake, but his grip was made of stone, yet he never once caused her more pain. Karla swallowed thickly, eyeing Drake as he leaned over her arm. "I-it isn't so bad." She tried, hoping he would release her.

Drake took deep breaths, each breath drawing in more of Karla's intoxicating scent. He noticed it wasn't simply her blood that he smelt, but her. Her feminine scent. Swallowing against the urge to sink his teeth in or at least to run his tongue along the wound, he released her hand slowly. He could take care of the wound easily, but he didn't know if he was strong enough to stop at that. It was one thing to smell the alluring scent, it was completely different to taste it.

Imagining it, he nearly groaned with the need. Closing his eyes, he took a step back.

Karla tried her best to cover the wound with the bottom of her t-shirt, her gaze returning to Drake. What had the man meant when he said he hadn't fed yet? What did Drake mean when he said he hadn't been hungry? Karla's eyes widened over their earlier conversation. She wouldn't entertain the idea, it wasn't possibly. Even as she tried to assure herself of that, a small voice in her head disagreed. If Drake had been lying to her, why would some other man confirm it?

Moving her gaze to the front of the bars, she moved away from them and closer to Drake. "Drake... um.... are you okay?" It was ridiculous. Asking him if he was alright. He wasn't the one who'd been cut by a knife, but while her arm hurt and stung, Karla could see even in the dim light how Drake's skin was pale. His broad back was stiff with tension and his fist were clenched at his side.

"You need to stay away. Just stay." Karla bit her lip. He hadn't yelled at her, but the steel calmness in his voice, the hint of determination made her relax. She didn't know why, but for some reason no matter what crazy place this seemed to be, she was positive of one thing. Drake wouldn't hurt her.

"Drake... let's say for one moment that I believe all this nonsense about vampires. If that's the case and you are a vampire. Why are you still here? Couldn't you like, I don't know, break the bars?" Now that would be awesome.

Drake flexed his fingers, wishing he had some sort of water to remove Karla's blood from his fingers. "They've created some sort of drug that renders us useless. I've been struck with a dart twice now and I haven't had blood since --- whenever I was taken. I don't have the strength to break the bars." Drake gritted his teeth at the admission. He hated feeling so weak.

"Oh." Karla muttered. Her ears perking as she heard the sound of foot steps. "Someone's coming.." Karla hadn't realized that as she spoke she'd moved closer to Drake, but by the time she did, Drake had secured her behind him. Her left hand rested on his bicep, the right on his back. She couldn't help but squeeze lightly. Damn the man was made of stone! She thought fleetingly as the doctor stopped back outside the cage.

"Hmm.. Vale won't be happy to see that you've still not fed, but I suppose that's a good thing for now. I need the female for a while..." Doctor Matthew Hewitt said. His face flat.

Drake growled, his arm moving Karla even more behind him. Once he saw the gun, he knew it was useless. "What do you want with her? She's mortal, she doesn't know anything." 

"Mmm. I don't see why I can't tell you, after all just the fact that you don't know her makes me curious." The doctor looked at Drake. It didn't add up, why was the female at the Black's cabin? "She was at your cabin. Our men heard her call out Roan's name and well here she is."

Karla tensed behind Drake. What did Roan have to do with this? Oh my gosh! Karla began to freak. Was her neighbor involved with these wierdo's? Did he take her? She hadn't missed the fact that the doctor had said 'your' rather than 'Roan's' cabin. Karla was so deep in thought, trying to process everything she heard a whistle sound and felt Drake tense, going completely ridged in front of her. Eyes widening, she squeaked as Drake suddenly began to fall, her hands automatically catching him and trying to hold him. Unfortunatley, the best she could do was to lower him to the ground.

"What the hell did you do?" Karla yelled, quickly pulling the dart out of Drake's chest and turned angry eyes on the doctor. She fought her fear as she saw him loading another dart.

"Don't worry, he is perfectly fine. This dart is different than his. It's less strong, but since you're human we don't need so much." The doctor cocked the gun and pointed. "As I said, we have questions." Then he pulled the trigger.

Karla had no where to run, duck to or hide behind. She took the dart, but as soon as she was able she pulled it free. Obviously, not fast enough. Looking to Drake who was out cold, she turned her gaze back to the doctor, but found that there were now more than one of him. She blinked several times, even tried to wipe her eyes, but nothing helped her sudden dizziness.

"Don't worry. You won't fall asleep, your just more... docile." The doctor said calmly, his voice sounded almost noisy. She could hear the metal hit together as he slid a key into the door and opened it. "Come on now.." Suddenly his hands were on her, holding her, dragging her. Struggling wasn't even an option. She'd have to think quickly how to get out of this place, but at this very moment her brain was mush. She groaned.

"Don't be so melodramatic. It will only last a few minutes and then you will be just as you were. By then, I'll have you squared away so don't try to think of anything funny." The doctor warned. For a small dude, he didn't seem to have any troubles dragging  her.

"Are you going to kill me?" She managed after thinking hard about how to speak.

She felt the doctor's chest rumble next to her, letting her know that he was laughing at her question. "No, well... Not yet.. If anyone kills you it will be that vampire. He hasn't fed and honey, you're a walking blood bag."

Fuck....