Drake Black - Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Karla stared at the door that Drake left through, her heart felt heavy hands her emotions erratic. What if he was her mate? Sure, she wanted him physically but could she allow herself to be changed into a vampire? She hadn't thought about it.

When all of this ended, she imagined losing Audrey and perhaps, having her mind messed with if they could do that. Now, she was given a chance to explore her feelings for Drake and keep her best and only friend.

She didn't know why to do.

When Audrey walked into the room a few minutes later Karla was pacing, one look at Audrey made most of Karla's worries disappear. "Did you know?" She asked, hoping she didn't sound as cussing as it seemed but judging by Audrey's raised brows she hadn't succeeded.

"Karla, come sit down. Yes, I knew almost the moment you arrived."

Karla sat beside Audrey without grace, "why didn't you tell me? Is this a joke, I mean, what are the chances? I hate being played with Auddie." Karla frowned at Audrey's scoff.

"Don't be stupid Karla, you aren't, so stop acting like it," Audrey sighed, turned and grabbed her friend's hands, "you were burned by someone you believed you could trust and sadly, it wasn't the first time. I know your parents were worse than you let me believe."

Karla refused to look at Audrey. Knowing your friend who was more like a sister could read you like an open book wasn't the greatest feeling.

"Karla, I love you so much and all I want is to see you happy. I won't tell you what you should do or how you should live your life. I will tell you, from my own experience as someone's mate that there is nothing like it."

At Audrey's dreamlike sigh, Karla looked up, "what do you mean?"

"He is as devoted to me, as in love with me as I am to him. I never have to fear he will leave me, hurt me or cheat on me," Audrey said confidently. "A mate is so much more, so much deeper than I could ever explain. It is a feeling unlike anything else and I know that if you gave Drake and yourself a chance you would be happier than you imagined."

Karla sat in silence letting Audrey's words sink in. "I'm afraid," she admitted with some reluctance. "What if I'm not what he wants?" Karla suddenly found herself surrounded by Audrey's arms. For this moment she allowed herself to sink into her friends embrace.

"You are the strongest, most confident person I know Karla. Hearing you and seeing you so upset makes my heart ache. I would never steer you wrong. I won't say that you and Drake won't have some sort of disagreement, but he would never turn you away or you him."

Audrey pulled back, smiling, "how about I go grab you a drink while you just think about all I've said?"

When Karla nodded, Audrey stood and left leaving her to think. Of course, inside she was having a mini breakdown. Really, this was a good thing. She didn't have to feel guilty anymore for wanting Drake and thinking he had a mate out there, on the other hand, she now had to consider what  being with him would mean.