{18}

{18}

            I stood in the middle of my father’s study. Everything was taken down from his walls. Pictures of my sister and articles about the night she was murdered and found were up anymore. His office was clean, spotless even. It was as if the room was never a chaotic mess just days before.

            I was home alone, again, but with the sudden burst of energy, I barged into the room hoping to help out in any way possible. Those plans were quickly flushed down the toilet when I barged in and saw everything was taken down.

            I twirled around the room as if somehow another wall was filled with the things that had been scattered around before. But the room was empty. The house was empty. I was empty.

            I walked out of the room and shut the door behind me before I walked to my bedroom and locked myself in. I didn’t feel safe here, not since the break-in.

            The break-in that Viktor probably committed; I wasn’t entirely sure why I hadn’t told my father my theory. But it probably had something to do with the fact that I had been a total bitch ever since Mia died.

            I crawled into my bed and covered myself with my covers. On my nightstand, the remote to my iPod Dock sat and I picked it up and turned it on. Instantly, Sia filled the room and I closed my eyes as the soothing melody took over my hearing.

            Just when I felt my body relaxing, thoughts started to run wild.

            Viktor.

            David.

            Stephanie.

            Something was going on and I needed to know what. With that last thought, I threw the covers off of my body, slipped on my boots, grabbed my jacket and headed down the stairs. My keys and cell gripped tightly in my hands as I practically jogged to my car.

            I’m getting to the bottom of this. Even if it’s the last thing I do.