{1}

{1}

     “You don’t have to go today, Malia.” My father said as I stood before my bathroom mirror and stared at my reflection. My emerald green eyes were noticeable against my pale complexion and raven black hair. I looked tired, despite having slept for two straight days. The sleeping pills I was prescribed worked miracles.

     Meeting my father’s dark eyes through the mirror, I shook my head and looked down, dropping my liquid eyeliner into my make-up bag before zipping it up and placing it back in its designated corner on the sink counter. “I’m fine.” I lied as I turned and met his fixed gaze hoping he wouldn’t catch the lie that escaped my lips.

     As expected, my father didn’t buy it.

     “I’m being serious, Malia, you don’t have to go. I can call the school and tell them you’re feeling sick.”

     Or that my twin sister was just murdered a week ago.

     “I’m fine,” I replied as I pushed past him and into my bedroom. “I need to get out of this house, anyways.” I shrugged as I grabbed my sweater and stuffed it into my black bag before I slung it over my shoulder and turned to face my father once again.

He stood besides my desk, arms crossed over his chest. Dressed in his Police uniform, my guess was that he was checking up on me before leaving for work. With a murderer on the loose in Crimson Heights, he worked more hours than usual. But then again, the fact that the girl that had been murdered was his daughter added to the fact that he was going insane trying to figure out who did it.

     “I’ll be fine,” I promised.

     My father ran a hand through his dark hair and sighed before nodding his head and placing his hands on his hips just above his work belt. “Alright, call me if you need anything.” He said as he closed the distance between us and pulled me into a hug.

     I closed my eyes and let his embrace take me over. With my mother MIA for the last fifteen years, and my twin sister dead, he was the only one I had left.

++

     The first week of the school year was always the week I hated the most out of the entire school year. For some reason, during the first week of school everyone dressed in their best, acted as if they hadn’t seen each other in years, and decided it was the week to show people where on the social ladder you sat.

     However, as I slid out of my car; slung my bag over my shoulder and stared at the old, tall building before me, I realized I was nowhere near ready to step foot into that place. I was not ready to face the people my sister once referred to as our ‘friends’.

     Year’s before, Mia and I walked down those halls knowing exactly where on the social ladder we sat. We were high up on that list. It seemed we always ranked in the top twenty every year. My sister cared about that stuff- social ranking and the latest fashion. What was in and what was not.

     I didn’t. I could care less where on the social ranking was that I sat. I didn’t care if I was well known, loved, or feared. I didn’t care about the latest fashion and what was in season or not. I hated Crimson Heights High and I hated the stupid town as well.

Although Mia and I were identical twins we were complete opposites. While I liked my jet black hair, my sister preferred hers blonde. While I could care less that I resembled a ghost by how fair skinned I was my sister went out of her way to be sun-kissed by the rays of the sun. While I preferred dark colors, she preferred light colors.

     We were complete opposites.

     I never wanted to be in the ‘in crowd’. I always stayed by my sister’s side because she wanted me there. This year, I was alone. My sister was dead and there was no reason for me to stay associated with a bunch of people who I never even liked. I didn’t need to pretend anymore.

     So, with that in mind, I hitched my bag higher up my shoulder, inhaled deeply and took the first step towards the stairs that led towards the main doors of Crimson Heights High.

     I didn’t even spare a glance at the group of people who lingered by the doors, all sporting their best outfits, laughing, and catching up even though they had spent the entire summer together.

They were in the ‘in crowd’.

And as I walked past them without a glance, I felt their eyes burn into my back as I pushed open the main doors.

     I was out.

     I was done and I couldn’t give a single fuck where I sat on the social ladder or that I was throwing everything my twin worked hard to keep up.

     I was done living a lie.