Tinfoil Balls for Christmas

I'm sure everyone has felt this. That perfect warmth that you'd want to burrow deeper in, to keep sleeping. I feel that a lot when I go to sleep late on it's a school day. Right now, I didn't feel the need to even open my eyes.

Then, I realize where I was and noticed the soft breathing on my neck. Now I don't want to open my eyes.

Something weird is going to happen and I might just embarrass myself.

I did it anyway and spot Julie. We both turned in our sleep, the stuffed animal now at Julie's back while Julie herself was snuggled up against me and her face level with my neck.

Her fullproof plan failed.

I involuntarily gulped so damn loud that I was genuinely surprised Julie hadn't stirred one bit. Thinking it was safe, I let out the most silent breath I could.

That's when Julie moved. She shifted a bit closer and stayed that way. Meanwhile, I went back to trying not to wake her. But it was all in vain, because her eyes opened.

Her gaze moved up to me and she stared, blinked, then smiled. "Hi."

I gave her a tight-lipped smile and I'm sure she noticed my red ears. "Your plan failed."

She shrugged, pursing her lips. "Oops?"

"Wow, I can really see how bad you feel about this," I said, sarcastically.

Julie smiled. "It isn't that bad."

I turned away so I faced the ceiling. "Not that bad... few more inches and my face would've made contact with yours."

I could clearly imagine Julie's little grin as she spoke. "I wouldn't mind that."

"Hush."

After the regular morning hygiene routine, Julie decided to cook for me. Or rather, she wanted to eat eggs and bacon and I did too but felt no need to contribute. I wasn't lazy though, I was opportunistic. I knew I had the chance to get food without doing a thing and I took it.

"How is it?"

After that piece of bacon, I've come to a decision. "Marry me."

Both her eyebrows raised and finally she was the one blushing. "What?"

"I'll finally have someone to properly cook bacon. James can't do it because it's either undercooked or over cooked. But you — " I pointed the strip of bacon at her. "You make perfect bacon."

She smiled bashfully. "Thanks."

After a long talk on the best way to make bacon, according to Julie, the food was finished I had to do the dishes. When we sat back down our conversation shifted to the holidays and what our plans were. Christmas was only a week away and nicely enough, on a Sunday. If it were on a weekday the school district wouldn't give a shit, school would still happen. I still didn't know what I would get for Julie but already had it figured out for James.

He was a simple guy and a gift for him didn't require me to ever get a job in the little over two years I've been on high school. All he needed from me was to to show appreciation for everything by cleaning and organizing the house to the point that it looked like the owner suffered from OCD.

Lastly, to top it off, he wanted one hug. 

As I said, he is simple. This is really what he asks for.