A Beat

I've always wondered, how a certain person could make your heart beat so fast. I'd really like to know.

Was it the way they looked?

Was it how they smiled at you?

Or was it because you just simply like this person?

I really don't know. And I hate that.

Because as I looked up, I saw the new girl enter the room. Light brown locks framing her features perfectly. She smiles once, it was quick.

And I swear I could feel something.

My stomach twisted, I felt a beat. And that really terrifies me.

And my immediate response was to push her away as she opened her mouth to greet me with a kind smile.

"I don't like you, I never will. We'll never be friends, so don't try." I say looking down at her, since she was about an inch shorter.

She drops her smile, making my heart sink. I don't know why though.

Letting out a breath she looks back up at me with the most determined face I've ever seen. "Well, nice to meet you too. I'm Julie." She smiles brightly holding out her hand for me to shake.

And I almost lift my hand to touch hers.

I balled up my hand into a fist, a bit disappointed in my thoughts as I turn away rudely with a grunt.

I then hear her hand drop to her side, as she slides into the seat beside me. Which normally, is always empty.

Feeling her eyes bore into the side of my head, I turn my head slightly causing her to give me an adorable smile. And I swear I could feel a beat once again, my stomach twisting.

You're letting your guard down!

I give myself a mental smack to the head and pulled my attention back to the board. What is wrong with me?!

The rest of the class I keep my attention to the teacher or my notebook, never daring to look to my right.

But as the bell rung, she stops me before I could make my great escape away from her.

"Hey," she says stepping in front of me "Why are you ignoring me?" She asks looking up at me. She was smaller than me, I could've easily pushed her away. But the look on her face the determination, the confidence. It intimidated me.

"Why does it matter, I barely know you" I go, pushing past her and out of the classroom as she desperately tries to catch up. And she never does, she's lost within the crowd.

And so I make my way down the hall to my next class, people making way in fear I'd punch them or something. I guess I kind of had that reputation.

It wasn't my fault people liked to piss me off.

My next few classes came by in a blur as always, but I had never expected to see her again. I felt another beat as she walked through those doors, no it skipped a beat.

I try my best to stay hidden sitting in the back, but she spots me and her eyes light up. She sets her hazel eyes onto me as she starts walking in my direction. And I'm just sitting there, acting like I didn't notice her. Just hoping she'll go away.

But of course luck is never on my side as she stands in front of my desk.

"You never told me your name," she says with a smile. I open my mouth to speak, but words don't seem to come out. Only because I want to say "Oh sorry my name is Genevieve."

But why the heck would I say that?

"I never wanted to," I say avoiding her eyes in fear that I'd feel something again. But that never works anyways because the sound of her voice and sight of those brown locks always does the trick.

"I believe you do," she responds leaning a bit closer.

"Genevieve," I grumble. She only leans closer cupping her ear as if she didn't hear.

"Can ya repeat that?"

"Genevieve," I sigh accidentally looking up into her eyes. Her smile gets bigger as my gaze meets hers. And I almost get lost.

"That's a very pretty name," she compliments.

"You know, now you're acting like I'm the new kid," I say resting my head on my hand.

"Oh, sorry about that. You just seem a little shy," she smiles.

"Shy my ass," was my response as she sat in the normally empty seat beside me. People stare at her, thinking she was crazy to sit around me.

She was.

_

_

_

"You two are partners... you two are partners... aaand you two are partners," Mr. Peninzki directs pointing at Julie and I.

"We're partners, isn't that great!" Julie says, her smile reaching her eyes.

"Yeah that's just fucking great," I say sarcastically causing her to frown.

"Oh you're so mean Gen," she says causing people to look at her, fearing for her life as I give her a look.

"Did you just call me Gen?"

She only nods, no fear in her eyes as I tower over her. It's like this makes her happy as she stands there with a huge smile.

I just never expected her to suddenly wrap her arms around me. And I'm frozen.

Completely frozen, I can't seem to move. I felt warm, it was as if she were trying to comfort me. And people just stare at the scene, surprised I haven't torn her arms off yet. I just didn't have that angry feeling. I felt that if I weren't me, I would've melted into her arms.

And so I pry her arms off me, taking a breath I didn't know I held then stepped away.

"I've already told you. We'll never, ever be friends. And don't you ever touch me," I say as I look down at her keeping my don't fuck with me demeaner. "I haven't killed you yet since you're new," I explain as an excuse for people to hear. I then sit back into my seat, "I'm just giving you a chance to run now and never speak to me again."

Julie only pretends to act frightened as she sits back down into her seat, and everyone finally turned their attention away from us. I was kind of thankful for that.

Before I knew it, the end of the class was close by. Meaning the end of the school day.

And just as I was about to leave that classroom, the girl stopped me once again. I was just about to snap at her, but she quickly shushes me by putting a finger on my lips.

"I just wanted you to know, we will be at least friends one day. Don't deny it," I opened my mouth to speak but she interrupts. "Nuh-uh, shh" she says with a smile. "Just one more thing, you know the way you froze and held your breath when I hugged you? I thought it was really cute."

Her grin widens at the way my face looked at the moment.

"See you tomorrow," she said as she walked out. Leaving me there, frozen like before.

She just said I was cute.

But Genevieve Rogers is not cute though. No she is scary. She's dangerous.

And then I had realized, during that conversation. I remembered.

I felt another beat, I felt a beat.