• Chapter Ten •

"What is a father's love?"      

She shook her head for the hundredth time, hiding her trembling fingers beneath her legs. She still wasn't used to being human - although she could finally walk - and the thought of joining the others for dinner was driving her anxiety through the roof. 

"Oh, come on," Cassius whined childishly, flopping on the bed beside her, "You can literally sit right next to me! And it will just the usual dinner, just with Leroy and his guys."

She stared at him blankly. She loathed the fact that she was frightened of herself. She was the epitome of weakness - a fragile girl that shivered beneath her own skin. She chose her wolf over human because that was her weapon. She learned to be okay with change as long as she knew she could defend herself. 

But this? This terrified her. 

She wasn't ready to accept it. She wasn't ready to step back into the past, to remember what those men had done to her. The proof was on her skin, in every inch, but she tried to ignore it. Her wolf was her shield against coming to terms with her past, she just wanted to step out of it forever without looking back. 

Yet, the Moon Goddess had different plans. 

Sekhet was no longer present in her mind. She knew that her wolf wasn't completely gone, or else her body would enter a coma to cope, but she couldn't reach to Sekhet either. She was rendered completely defenseless in a her human form, and she wasn't sure what to do. 

She was told that it was time to understand, and as much as she tried to deny it, she knew that she hadn't accepted the human part of herself. She only accepted her wolf and their past. 

It was time to accept her own. 

And she didn't want to. 

She just wanted her wolf back, she wanted to flee this impending hurdle - the pain that would unmistakable follow. It wasn't impossible, she was just scared to let someone in - even Cassius was a stranger to her past. She wanted everything to go back to normal, where she could be a wolf and run the land with wild passion.

A fierce nostalgia filled her. 

She was conflicted - thrown back into the ocean of unceasing change - and as Cassius sat up beside her, she remembered Deikota's words of their own suffering. Pain was pain, they couldn't be that much different. So, she turned to face Cassius.

The coming storm was inevitable. 

She opened her mouth, trying to form a syllable, yet they were caught in her throat. Cassius' eyes widened and he remained silent, yearning to hear her. She closed her mouth, sighed, and then she tried again.