Chapter Twenty: Truth be Told

Truth Be Told

Audrey ran away as fast as she can. She had no idea where she was going. Her mind was set to one thing; get away from Jacob.

Jacob left the venue with a gasping audience. He had left a bombshell. He didn't care what they thought. Love is love. If he didn't confess now, he will regret it later. Now is the chance to make things right.

He ran as fast as he can to chase after Audrey. She was nowhere to be found. It was worst enough that it was night and you can barely see a thing. The best thing to do was get a cab and ask the driver to drive very slow and hope for the best.

He did just that.

Alexis was sitting on the chair. Her head was buried into her hands as her mother cupped her shoulders. "Don't worry sweetheart. Everything will be alright." She pulled into a hug, trying to comfort Alexis.

Alexis looked into her mother's eyes, giving her a message that she had to go after Jacob .

Her mother wagged her head while stroking her hair to the side.

"Mum, I have to do this," she protested and stood from her chair. She was gone in a split second.

The cab pulled over at the Central Park. Jacob thought that Audrey could be here. It was pretty dark and one lamp post illuminated the entire park.

Jacob scope his hand and used it as a binocular to spot Audrey. He only saw a woman sitting on the park bench, sobbing so hardly.

Who can this be? Can this be her?

"Audrey!" Jacob gasped and hurried his way to her.

Audrey was sitting on the park bench as she wiped her tears. Oh, she had been wanting to cry so badly. So hardly.

"Why am I crying again?" Audrey asked herself. Then a voice chimed in.

"Audrey."

She turned around and saw Jacob walking slowly to her. She ignored him and wipe her tears away. She was left stunned by the surprising kiss.

"Audrey," he said again.

Audrey ignored him again and faced the way until she mustered all her courage to speak.

When she finally had the courage, she turned around with a fierce face. "Why?" She asked. "Why did you kiss me?"

Jacob was left speechless for a moment.

"Why?" she asked again.

"Because," Jacob sputtered.

"Because? Jacob, you're engaged!" Audrey stood from her seat.

"I know. I am. But I don't know what I'm feeling inside. I'm not sure at all. Every moment I spent with you is indescribable. I can't help but feel this way every time I see you."

"Jacob," Audrey uttered and started to tear again.

Jacob took a step closer and cupped her cheeks. "Audrey, I wanted to tell you this ever since but I don't know what prevented me from. All I know is that. I love you. I want to spend the rest of life with you. Grow old with you."

Audrey's heart literally dropped. Hearing the three words she had dreamed of sounded like the angels from above. As much as she wanted to tell him that she loved him back, she couldn't.

Her face was so sticky with tears. "Jacob, you can't," Audrey barked.

"But, I am!"

"You just think that you're in love with me but you're not. It's Alexis that you love. Not me. You're just confused."