Chapter 29

I go to turn toward Anti, but hesitate. "I swear if you're carrying that severed hand..."

When I do finally turn around, I'm relieved to find his hands empty save for the knife he'd killed Baker with. Usually after killing someone, Anti's beaming and pleased with himself. Now, he stands statue-like, still fuming from before. It was odd that he'd gotten so furious from when Baker had shoved me, but I guess that was another thing where Anti worried about me getting "broken".

Why'd he get so mad at Baker? Maybe it was another attention thing. Then again, I'd only thought about them a couple of times. With Lukas and Arendt, it was a constant shadow. Maybe he's just becoming more strict.

Even stranger was the fact that I was just thinking deeply about him and the reasons behind his actions, and Anti did nothing about it. I look back up at him, finding him still deep in thought.

I clear my throat. "...Anti?"

His eyes focus as his gaze immediately snaps in my direction.

"You, uh... You okay, there? You're acting a bit weird."

"I'm fine," he says, shaking off whatever was bothering him.

"It's just strange that you're not gloating over the defeat of your most recent prey." I pause, wondering if I should continue. Ultimately, my curiosity wins. "Why were you so mad at them? They were hardly an issue for you."

"Just wanted them dead." He begins wiping the blood off of his knife.

Though I don't believe him for a second, I drop the subject. I go to sit down on the couch, then grab the remote on my far left. When I turn back around, Anti's sitting right beside me, manic smile returned. I jump, almost instinctively punching him.

"Instead, let's talk about you," he says. I cringe, wondering where the conversation is going. "You said I was your boyfriend."

I roll my eyes. "It was just to get on Baker's nerves. Don't think too much of it."

"You said it pretty quickly. You sounded a bit defensive." Anti sneaks an arm around my waist.

While trying to pry him off – unsuccessfully, might I add – I reply, "I saw a way to get to them. I took the chance. You're not my boyfriend, Anti."

"Too late. You've already said it."

I try to wiggle out of his grip while he pulls me into his lap again. "Why me?"

Anti places me in his lap, easily keeping me in place while I writhe against his hold. Eventually, I submit and sit still with my arms across my chest. I face away from him and slightly to the left, able to see him out of the corner of my eye while my legs still swing comfortably off of the edge of the couch. He buries his face into the crook of my neck, and I start from the sudden motion. When he laughs at my action, I shiver from his cold breath.

"You're mine now."

I try to explain my grief in another way: "Why doth fate curseth me so?"

My joking comes to a screeching halt as I feel Anti beginning to kiss my neck from behind. I tense, feeling my cheeks heat exponentially with each passing second. His arms still prevent any chance of escape.

Why me? I think again, not trusting my mouth to relay the message calmly. In response to this, Anti smiles and pulls me closer to him so that my back is pressed against his chest. Internally panicked, I push against his arms again.

Anti works upwards, towards my face. When he reaches my jawline, I take the risk of elbowing him in the stomach. It backfires, and I rub my sore elbow, forgetting about the demon for a moment. A huge mistake.

He shifts me to the side rapidly so that my legs are on the couch. Before I have any more time to protest, Anti's lips are already on mine. When he finally pulls away, I continue to rub my elbow, glaring at him.

"Why are you like this?"

"Because it gets in your head."

"Screw you."

"Maybe later," he growls with a devilish grin.

This time when I try to break out of his hold, Anti lets me, laughing his ass off over my reaction. My face burns as I begin to walk away. As I reach the stairwell, Anti appears in front of me and places an arm in front of my path.

"Aww, come on, [Y/N]," he says, still laughing. "Don't be like that. It was a joke."

"Nope. I'm just gonna go."

I duck under his arm and attempt to walk up the stairs. A hand reaches out and grabs the back of my shirt, causing me to reel back. Before I hit the ground, Anti catches me with one arm. Though startled, I quickly right myself and move out of his grasp.

"Why are you like this?" I groan. "One day you threaten to mutilate me. The next day you flirt mercilessly. For the love of god, pick a personality."

Anti slings an arm around my shoulders, pressing a finger to his chin. Without warning, a knife appears in the hand around my shoulder, gently pressing around the side of my neck. I tense a bit, but not as much since that's much more familiar.

"Im keeping you on your toes," he says with a fanged smile, eyes lightly glowing.

"How generous. Glad to know you're not only trying to mess with my head."

"Well  of course I'm still trying to fuck with you," he laughs. I roll my eyes.

"Yay me."

He shifts the hand holding the knife, accidentally pricking my arm with the edge. It's so small a cut that I don't even wince, but I feel Anti's arm tense for a moment. His eyes flick to my bicep for an almost undetectable instant. I ignore it.

Instead, I decide to ask him something that I'd been curious about:

"So Anti, do you torture other people when you're not here?"

Snorting, he replies, "You've seen the blood."

Remembering the woman – Rabbit's – foot, I shake my head. "I meant consistently. Like did you keep going back to those people before you killed them while you weren't here?"

Anti pauses for a moment, seeming to realize something, but he doesn't reveal his epiphany. Rather, he answers, "I used to."

I wait for him to continue, but he doesn't. Deciding that he probably won't give me anything else, I shift from underneath his arm, quickly moving away while he's preoccupied with his thoughts. This time, I'm successful in slipping past, and he only notices my hand waving behind me and the rushed "welp, see ya."

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "Plaything" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue