Chapter 2

{A/N} I've decided to switch to publishing two chapters per week (as edited in the description). One will be on Friday and the other will be on Tuesday.

I stare at the large 'A' for a few moments, then proceed to take a shower and get dressed. As I begin to eat breakfast, I watch tv. Still, my mind continues to wander to the mark regardless of what I try to distract myself with. It's not like there's anything I can do about it, so why start freaking out before I've eaten? My mind doesn't work without food.

Once I finish breakfast, I sit on the couch of the living room and look under my shirt. The green 'A' is still there, as real as ever. I frown, running my thumb along it. Just then, I hear shrill laughter from the tv. Looking up, I see that the show I had been watching had frozen, and that static filled some parts of the screen. A ringing sound begins to fill my ears as two pale hands place themselves on the other side of the glass and the screen glows brighter. I turn away from the light and shield my eyes. The lights in the ceiling flicker, and then go out entirely.

The screen blackens as well, leaving me in total darkness. I look around, then begin to search for my phone. A small green light glows in front of me. I soon realize that it's an eye. Shrinking back against the couch, I stare at it, beginning to breathe quickly. My heartbeat is rapid.

The tv comes to life again, screen full of static. It illuminates the silhouette of a lean man slowly walking towards me. With each step, his body glitches, depicting flashing versions of him screaming or looking in different directions. A sinister smile spreads across his face.

"I'm ba~ack," a growling voice sings. "Did you miss me?"

For an instant, I'm too scared to speak. Then, I manage: "Antisepticye... I haven't seen you since – what? – the end of the silent pumpkin carving video?"

"Unfortunately," the demon grins, toying with the blade of a shining knife, "I'm much more real than that."

That knife sure as hell looks pretty real, I can't help but think, nervously glancing at the blade. It's not the same one from before, but in his hands it still reminds me of the painful 'A' carved into my skin. My stomach twists just thinking about it. I shake my head slightly, suppressing my fear. Won't do me any good to just sit here, scared out of my mind, I calm myself.

After a deep breath, I speak up: "Why?"

Anti seems momentarily dumbfounded by the question and sudden composure. "What?"

I rephrase my question. "Why are you here? I thought you weren't real, like most sane people."

He laughs, the sound is full of malice and sickening amusement. "Can something imaginary do that?"

With a deft gesture, he pulls up the bottom of my shirt and exposes the 'A' he tattooed onto me. I frown at the sight. I really hope that's not permanent, is my only concern. Then, I tug my shirt out of his hands and frown.

"Yeah, I guess you're not just some illusion made by fake blood, well done video editing, and a green tint," I tease, trying to mask my shaking unease. Fortunately, it seems to work, as Anti growls and – unfortunately – wraps a hand around my throat and presses the knife's blade onto my skin above his hand.

My heartbeat accelerates rapidly, and my respiration becomes uneven. His mismatched eyes bore into mine, daring me to question something else about his existence. I remain silent, closing my eyes against his glowing ones.

"Open your fucking eyes," Anti commands. I quickly do so, deciding not to disobey him when he has a knife to my throat. His glower turns into a grin, only frightening me more.

"I'm realer than you think, so don't fuck with me," the demon growls. I give a small nod, agreeing to respect him. He takes the knife away and loosens his grip on my throat. I'm able to breathe easily, but the cold hand still worries me. After glaring at me for a moment longer, he lets go of me completely and glances away, out of the large window in the living room. I rub the sore spot on my neck, hoping that he didn't leave a bruise. Dim light has returned to the room, so I can now see his features fairly clearly:

Pale skin, umber hair shaved short on the sides, clean facial hair, and two glowing eyes: one green, one blue. He wears a dark ocean colored hoodie, a black shirt, and black ripped jeans.

"So, Anti," I begin cautiously. My heart stops for an instant when his eyes flit to mine, but I continue: "Why are you here? You didn't answer my question."

"I bounce from person to person, messing with their minds and killing people they love," he states simply, as if it's no big deal. Anti seems to have calmed down quite a bit, but I'm still put off by his presence. I wonder if Sean knows he's real, I wonder silently.

"Don't," Anti quickly hisses, "say his name."

I jump at his sudden intensity, but then become slightly defensive. "I didn't say his name; I thought it. You don't expect me to censor my thoughts for you, do you?"

"Are you defying me?" The man threateningly approaches me again, expecting me to shrink back as before. I hold my ground, however, because of his ridiculous request.

"Yes, because what you want is impossible. Are you gonna kill me for thinking? Go ahead, then, if those are your rules," I snap. All fear forgotten, I suddenly talk to him as I would an equal. "I'll respect you, I won't say his name around you, but I can't just not think about things."

Anti is astonished by my stubborn confidence, giving up on trying to frighten me. It seems like he actually wants to kill me, now. For whatever reason, he doesn't, and disappears. I stare at the place where he stood, in shock.

"There will be consequences," a raspy Irish voice whispers in my head. I shudder, and begin to go about my day.

As I think about the events that just occurred, I can only draw one definite conclusion: I'm royally fucked.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "Plaything" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue