A Date Ch 63

Lyra Pov

It was already the end of summer, and James said he had a surprise for me today. At my birthday party, he told me that he had something special planned and that I would love it. I tried to ask as many people what we were doing, but they either didn't know or were pretty good at lying.

I had even tried to get dad to teach me Leginamacy. He told me that it was far too dangerous and that he wasn't going to teach me. I was slightly disappointed because I could have used it for far more than just figuring out what we were doing for this date.

The worst part was I had no idea what to wear, and James told me that he had taken care of that as well. I didn't even know what that meant. It was 10 in the morning, and I felt the wards chime as he apparated to the front door. I walked to the door and opened it just as he was about to knock. I knew it wasn't a stranger because mother and father had wards strong enough to fend off anyone, and only certain people could apparate right into the grounds.

"Hello," I said with a smile.

"Hello, darling." James smiled brightly at me and kissed me on the forehead. I loved it when he did that at it made me blush slightly.

"So, what are we doing today?" I was eager to figure it out.

"Lyra. It is a surprise. Here. Wear this." James handed me a bag, and I took out what was inside. I was horrified. Never in my life had I worn Jean shorts and a flannel shirt.

"I'm sorry, what?" I was not wearing this.

"I know you hate it, but there isn't going to be anyone anywhere near us where we are going. And trust me, you are going to want to wear that." James now handed me two black boots.

I was mad; I didn't want to go anywhere where I had to wear this.

"Lyra, please, we are going to be late, plus you are going to get to change later today. Please trust me." James pulled me into a hug, and I felt defeated. I walked into the bathroom and changed into the outfit he gave me. It seemed so foreign to be wearing this. But as I looked at myself in the mirror, I actually smiled. I didn't look that bad.

I walked back to where James was, "Wow, you look great. Are you ready to go?" He said, a smile plastered across his face.

"I guess so," I said, taking his hand. I felt myself being pulled through a tube, and then when I opened my eyes, I was in a magical place. I looked around. Everything was green. The trees arched over one another, and everything was covered in vines. I was amazed by how pretty it was. I noticed that even though very little sunshine was getting through the canopy, it was quite warm, and I was happy that I was wearing shorts.

In the distance, I noticed a blanket on the ground and a small picnic basket on it

"Come on," James said, taking my hand.

"Where are we?" I said, still looking around in amazement.

"I cannot tell you. It is a secret." James said, smirking at me.