Gardening Ch 22

James POV

I was over at Malfoy Manor; Scorpius had invited me over, but then Molly had owled him about something important, and he had left. I was going to leave, but Hermione told me it shouldn't be long and that I was welcome to stay. I had found peacefulness in the gardens and was lying on a bench in the sun. It was warm today, no clouds in sight. It was very nice.

"James?" I sat up at Lyra's voice, calling my name.

"What are you doing here?" She asked me. Hands-on her hips, lips pursed like she used to look at me when we were both younger.

"I was visiting Scorpius, though his girlfriend sent him an urgent owl. He left, and your mother said that I could stay until he returns."

"Why don't you visit me?" She looked hurt, though she was doing her best to cover it up with annoyance. 

"I can if you would like me to; I didn't know you wanted me to visit you."

"We practically spend all of our time together at Hogwarts, James, and then when we come home for holiday, I barely see you. It gets lonely around here, you know. It is a big house."

"Well, how about we start now, Lyra may I visit with you?" I hopped off the bench, bowing dramatically.

"Why that would be lovely James, thank you." She said in an equally dramatic manner. I laughed, and she started walking away. "Well, are you coming or not?" She called out after me. I started to run to catch up with her, and we stopped at a greenhouse.

"Wow, did you grow all of these flowers, Lyra?"

"Yes, it is something grandmother taught me. It was either this or needlepoint. That, of course, sounded terribly boring, and I didn't see a need for that."

"Well, you have done a wicked job." I was amazed by all of the flowers, none of which were wizarding plants.

"There is a separate greenhouse for wizarding plants James, I do not enjoy growing those." She smirked at me. Answering the question, I was wondering as though she read my mind.

"Lyra, what is your favorite flower."

"White roses." her answer was immediate.

"I don't see any of those," I stated as I looked around.

"Would you like me to show them to you?" She looked at me, excitingly. I nodded, and she took my hand. Her happiness flowed from my hand up through my arm and into the rest of my body. I would never get tired of feeling that. We walked into another greenhouse. This one had only white roses. "I may have gone a bit overboard."

"It is incredible." I pulled her in close, and we started dancing.

"James, there isn't any music." She said.

"I could sing for you if you would like?" I laughed at her.

"No, that won't be necessary." She smiled at me and then started singing. It French, I believe. She sang quietly, and we danced together, surrounded by roses for what seemed to me like an eternity. She finished her song and backed away, smiling.

"You are full of surprises, aren't you? Anything else I should know?"

"Well, you about how I love snow globes, and now how I can sing, and grow flowers. I reckon that that is it." She smiled at me.

"You are incredible." I walked over and kissed her on the cheek. I stepped back, grabbed her hand in mine, and we walked back toward the manor. 

"James, there you are; thanks for staying." I let go of Lyra, and she blushed. 

"Is everything all right? With Molly?" I asked him.

"Yes, she was just having a hard time." He looked sad.

"With what mate?"

"She asked me not to tell anyone yet. I don't know if I should." He seemed conflicted.

"Molly is our friend to Scorpius; we won't tell. We all have secrets that we keep hidden." Lyra said.

"Her mother died." His voice was plain. I gasped. Lyra looked stunned. "Don't say anything. Percy hasn't even told your Grandmother, James. They are trying to work through it. She was having a particularly bad day."

"I understand, mate, and I won't say anything."