chapter fourteen

Newt: I think we should break up.

The text lingered on Thomas' screen, making him feel sick to his stomach. He read it over and over again, driving a knife deeper into his heart each time. His hands were shaking and his entire body felt heavy.

He immediately called Minho, feeling tears prick at his eyes. Minho knew Newt the most out of all of them, he'd know what to do. The runner picked up on the third ring.

"Hey Thomas, what's up?"

"Newt's trying to break up with me." Thomas sniffled into the phone. He wiped his eyes hard to try and stop the tears.

"What? Did you guys fight?"

"No. I just randomly got the text."

Minho's voice softened instantly. "Hey Thomas. Don't cry."

Thomas sniffled hard, shoving his face into a blanket. "I-I'm not crying."

"Thomas. He doesn't want to break up with you. He loves you."

"The why is he doing it Minho?!" Thomas was shouting into the phone, not caring about how loud his voice was getting.

"He's fuckin depressed Thomas!" Now Minho was shouting. Thomas wanted to throw up.

"I love him...I can't..." Thomas' voice cracked as he let out a sob.

"Thomas I need you to calm down for me okay? You need to breathe. I want you to sit on the floor until I can get there okay?"

Thomas made a strange strangled sound. "O-Okay."

Thomas heard the sound of Minho's keys before he hung up. Thomas' hands were shaking and his vision was blurring with the tears. His stomach wouldn't settle and his chest hurt due to the intense tightness. He didn't even know Newt last year but suddenly he imagine existing without him.

Thomas slid down the living room wall til he was sitting like Minho told him to. He dropped his head between his knees, squeezing his eyes shut to will himself to not cry anymore. He didn't want Minho to see him that weak. He stayed that way for what felt like forever until he heard the front door swing open.

"Thomas?"

Thomas took a shaky breath and lifted his head, his eyes stinging and his cheeks still wet. "In here Min."

Minho dropped his keys and headed into the living room, immediately dropping down next to Thomas. "Are you okay?"

"I feel like my heart was put through a blender, but otherwise I'm fine."

Minho frowned and sat next to Thomas. "Did you text him back?"

"No. I can't look at it without feeling sick."

"Give it to me."

"What?"

"Your phone. Give it to me. Newt doesn't want to break up with you, he's trying to push you away. He doesn't think he deserves you and I care about you two too much to let your relationship go to shit over this."

Thomas put his phone in Minho's outstretched hand and leaned his head on the runner's shoulder to watch what he was typing. Minho didn't move, so Thomas assumed he didn't have a problem with it. "Have you told him you love him yet?"

"Yeah after prom."

Minho nodded and started typing, his fingers flying across the screen keyboard.