chapter nine

"It's you? Oh my god it's actually you? You were him all along? I-I...b-but I kissed you at the party!" Thomas stammered as Newt was fidgeting in his chair.

"I told you we got some stuff to talk about." Newt laughed nervously. Thomas' knees almost buckled.

"You're cute." Thomas blurted out accidentally. "And you like me."

Newt flushed and looked really taken aback. "I-uh, yeah thanks and uh quite a lot actually."

Thomas smiled, suddenly feeling giddy inside. There was an insanely adorable boy in front of him who actually liked him. His heart was going to lurch out of his chest. He opened his mouth to say something but Newt cleared his throat.

"You...I mean, I get it if you don't want this." Newt motioned to his wheelchair. "It can be kinda hard and I know it wasn't apart of the deal and I-uh-"

"Newt." Thomas cut him off gently, moving slightly closer to the boy who looked like he was about to jump out of his skin. Suddenly it clicked in Thomas' mind, Newt wasn't nervous for Thomas to see who he was, Newt was insecure about Thomas hating him because he was in a wheelchair. He thought Thomas would see him would see him as different because he couldn't walk.

Newt was watching his every move carefully, as if he was scared Thomas was going to punch him.

Thomas smiled softly. "I don't care about the wheelchair, I do care about the boy sitting in it."

Newt's cheeks flared red and he ducked his head to avoid Thomas' gaze. "Oh my god you're bloody killin me."

Thomas sent a text to Teresa, telling her to get a ride home with Brenda. She sent him a winking face in response, letting him know he was in the clear.

"Wanna go for a drive?"

"What?" Newt's head shot up, meeting Thomas' face with a look of shock.

"Our after party doesn't start for a few hours, we have to talk right? So why don't we go somewhere that's not the school?"

"Yeah I uh, yeah okay." Newt nodded, looking at Thomas before back down at his knees. "This is bloody embarrassing, but could you possibly push?"

     Thomas scrunched his face in confusion before realizing and widening his eyes. "Oh you mean the chair? Yeah yeah of course."

     Thomas got behind him and started pushing the chair in the direction of the front doors. Newt kept his face in his hands, the blush apparent on the back of his neck where Thomas could see it.

     Thomas felt bad and wanted to make him feel more comfortable so he started talking. "This wasn't awkward at the party, why is it now?"

     "Because I'm internally freaking out," Newt mumbled into his hands.

     "You don't have to be, I know you Newt. I know what you like, I know what you don't. The only thing that's changed is now I can see your face."

     "When you used to like Min didn't you get nervous around him? Like if you did something wrong you'd ruin everything?"

     "Yeah kinda why?"

     "Because that's how I feel around you."

     Thomas turned around so he could push the school doors open with his back and drag Newt's chair through. "You're not gonna mess anything up."

     Newt didn't say another word as Thomas pushed him across the parking lot and to his car.

     "It uh, folds," Newt said as they stopped by Thomas' car.