I asked what he thought about Skyler, and he avoided answering my question. Instead, he moved on to the topic of financial gains, repeatedly. I didn't know what answer I should give Skyler about going to dinner.

I leaned back in my chair, stretching, and tried one last time. "Do you think that I should say yes, to dinner with Sky when I call him back?" I was fishing to see if he would take the bait.

He mirrored my gesture and stretched in his chair. "It wouldn't be fair for me to answer that question, because I don't feel he really appreciates you. It's your decision to make and only you should." He said nothing after that, as he gathered up all of his papers getting ready to head to his meeting.

I stood from my chair, closing the distance. "I hope everything goes well with your meeting. Knock it out of the park!" I touched his shoulder, and I wanted him to tell me not to call Skyler.

Instead, he sighed heavily pulling me to him. He kissed my forehead, his lips lingering there. My whole body screamed, to stay in his embrace. But he let me go, and gave me a penetrating gaze that gave me chills up and down my spine.

The man is absolutely stunning.

He grabbed his portfolio from his desk, and cleared his throat. "I'm leaving for my meeting now. I'm not sure if you'll be here when I get back. If you're not, have a good evening. I'll let you know how the meeting goes." He left me in his office, without a backwards glance.

Something was off kilter about him today—what's up with us?

My text message alert detained my thoughts any further.

Skyler ~ Hi Sabine. Please say you'll have dinner with me tonight. I can't tell you how sorry I am. I miss you and I'd like to give us another chance.

Sabine ~ What about Astrid? She didn't feel like sightseeing today, so you decided that u would call me?

Skyler ~ LOL. I knew u would say something like that. No, I just realized how much I enjoyed getting to know you. We were just getting started. Please say yes!

Sabine ~ Alright, I'll go to dinner with you. But we are going to take baby steps from here on out.

Skyler ~ Whatever u say. I made reservations for 7:30 p.m. at that Mexican restaurant you like, with those awesome margaritas.

Sabine ~ OK

I put my phone down on Shayne's desk, holding my aching stomach. I stood in my bosses office that has a great view of the Dallas skyline. The tears began to fall one by one, on the carpet. How can I be going to dinner with Skyler at the very Mexican restaurant, Shayne brought me dinner from last night? He and I were going to try their amazing margaritas.

He said I looked perfect, even though I felt I looked a mess.

He let down his guard, and showed me the real him.

I stood at the window in his office, looking out. "Shayne." Was all I uttered out loud, as I pressed my hand to the cold thick glass window.

I let myself admit, I was starting to have feelings for Shayne Carrington.

I heard the door knob turning. "Oh, you're still in here?" Shayne barely glanced at me.

"Yes, I'll be out of your way. Is your meeting over already?" My mouth opened in surprise.

He grabbed a folder. "No, I ran back to get this."

"I decided to say yes, to dinner with Skyler." I felt honesty was best.

He examined my face with his eyes, that turned stormy grey. "Enjoy your dinner, I'll see you on Monday." He held one side of my face and rubbed his thumb over my cheek.

"I will, thank you." I held onto his wrist, as his hand touched my face and he dropped his hand.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be doing that," he spoke in a whispery voice.

A tear trickled from my eye. "It's fine, if things were different. . . I mean if, Skyler. . . I-I,"

He cut me off from speaking with his finger to my lips. "It's okay, no need to explain."

He left and so did a piece of my heart. It was so sudden—I did not see that coming!

Votes and Comments Appreciated ❤️