[41] Her Butler, Tragically In Love || 2

Start from the beginning

I glanced to the ground in slight guilt.

She had such a flexible personality. It was admirable. It presented her strong nature to always face the world without a tear in sight.

Inside, I'm sure she was uncomfortably upset-- and so was I, because how does one possibly respond to such an ordeal?

"Have a wonderful evening," Rodric said cheerfully, opening the door.

His attention flashed towards Adelina when she did not respond and then to me, eyes now flaring with the familiar pink hue that I had seen so many times before. Sebastian placed a hand on Rodric's shoulder and I stepped inside without as much as a glance back, confident that no harm would come my way.

It was not the same confidence, however, that I held when Adelina and I were waved over by her grandfather, who was heartily drinking away the wine in one hand as the other held a burning cigar. A mutual smile that did not reach our eyes was suddenly on our faces and we made our way to them. Somehow, Adelina knew that my arm would be waiting for hers and our movements were synced, perfectly mirroring the image of a happily engaged couple.

Lies were so easy to tell.

...just as we predicted, their souls are bending and interlocking...

...she's not as content as I expected her to be...

...blame my young Master for being such terrible Romeo...

"I'm pleased to see these horrible events haven't damped the spirits of the soon to-be wed!" Sir Russé shouted with flushed cheeks, clearly drunk from the empty bottles of wine at his feet.

Katherine shook her head and Adelina's grandmother did the same, both with a small child on their laps. Everyone was dressed in new and festive attire, although I was surprised to see Alexandra in an even pinker and fluffier dress than before. She resembled a walking cotton candy.

"Don't worry about him," George the Second assured us as he adjusted the small black patch on his son's right eye. "He's quite the drinker."

George the Third raised the miniature cane he had in his small hand without a hint of joy and Adelina's laughter choked beside me, leaving me in still confusion as the image of a smaller version of myself finally made itself clear.

Donning the eyepatch and cane, little George appeared to be a replica. He even had on some rings, though I'm sure they were his mother's.

"He copies anyone he finds interesting," Melinda clarified, eyes positively glowing with her hands clasped at her front. "Isn't it just precious?"

I nodded stiffly, aware that this was quite possibly a usual behavior judging by the lack of interest everyone gave the boy.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," Adelina mumbled beside me, to which I could not help but smile at.

"I suppose it is."

An open seat was pulled out for Adelina by Christian once the entrance doors were firmly shut and I walked her over to it but not before Finny and Mey-Rin rushed over to us, offering a bit of appetizers with the widest grins I had ever seen them bare.

"Mr. Sebastian and Mr. Rodric have given us quite the special jobs, they have!"

Adelina took a small square of cheese from Finny's tray, popping it into her mouth as she listened to the two of them carefully.

"We've been ordered to make sure everyone has snacks at their disposal!"

I sweat-dropped along with Adelina, unsurprised at the simple task given to them but at the same time a bit sorry at the pride they took in it. Of course, after always ruining the easy jobs they were assigned to, it was to be expected of them.