[22] Her Butler, Critiqued

Later that evening, (after retiring into the manor from our small snowball fight) Lau, Ciel, and Soma had begun playing a small game of cards, while I had chosen to sit in my own seat with a small book, rather comfortable as I basked in the fireplace's heat. I had just finished the twenty-second chapter when Sebastian and Rodric walked into the parlor, each carrying another ridiculous amount of silver trays in their arms. The servants followed with difficulty behind them, and I lolled my tongue out at the thought of tasting so many curries.

"My apologies for having kept you waiting." Rodric apologized, bowing slightly as the plates and trays were set down. Only Soma looked up as everything was placed, seeming rather astonished.

"I present you with a curry of tender spices and the savor of onions," Sebastian stated, holding a plate of chicken curry. "We've topped it off simply with some coriander and yogurt."

A smile grew on my lips and I set aside the book, ready to taste more delicious food.

"Lau, I win with that card." Ciel pointed out beside me, and Lau began to whine.

"Ehh...! I've been had!" he exclaimed with a pout. I gave a small chuckle and pulled out the hidden ace card that was tucked between the pages of my book, sliding it across the table to Lau as Ciel watched in annoyance.

"Now he wins with that card," I said happily.

"YOU'RE ALREADY DONE!?" Soma suddenly yelled, and Yuki slapped her fan on his arm.

"Stop gaping, you look like a fish." she scolded, and Ciel sighed. "Don't be so surprised."

"I'm tired of old maid," Ciel said, resting his head on his hand.

"Then shall we play old man?" Lau suggested with a smile.

Again, Soma interrupted with a loud cry. "BUT IT'S ONLY BEEN ABOUT TWO HOURS SINCE YOU BEGAN--!"

At this, Ciel finally glanced up with an arched eyebrow, seemingly uninterested with Prince Soma's constant shouts.

"Yes, it, unfortunately, took me a full two hours. Please, forgive me for forcing you to wait so long." Rodric said, closing his eyes in deep disappointment. Yuki lifted the lid off the first tray, and almost immediately, Soma fell back into his seat in a type of daze. Salvador began to distribute the napkins to each of us, and Finny happily took his seat in the smaller table at the corner of the room, utensils ready in hand with the twins mimicking him at his sides.

"This aroma, it's..." Soma closed his eyes and inhaled the heavy scent of the curry. "...almost like Agni's..."

Rodric set the gold rimmed plate in front of the Prince and Mey-Rin began to nervously serve everyone tea. She missed Lau's teacup by a few inches and was quickly dismissed by Sebastian, who then took over her job. Feeling sorry for her, Yuki directed her to the table with Finny and patted her head in the usual motherly way she did, and Mey-Rin flashed her a smile.

"How in the world... And in such a short time..." Prince Soma mumbled softly, looking down at the plate.

"It was simple," both butlers answered with wide smirks, "We just sampled all of the spices."

The plates clanged and Soma began to wildly wave his arms around, baffled.

"EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM!? THE WHOLE LOT?"

"Yes." Rodric answered bluntly, with Yuki and Salvador in tow, "To return to the point of hand, I then blended the spices to match the fragrance of the curry Mr. Agni cooked for breakfast the other day as closely as possible."

"That was all it took to create the aroma?" I asked in interest, in all actuality a bit impressed. Rodric turned to me and flashed a smile, while Sebastian tried a bit harder to conceal his own pearly white smirk.

"Our sense of smell is a tad bit better than most humans." they harmonized devilishly. I shivered and rolled my eyes at their becoming friendship, almost disgusted at the thought of having to deal with two obnoxiously arrogant demons. I already had to deal with Ciel, after all.

"Come now, your Highness," Lau said with a raise of his palm, indicating the curry in front of each of us, "'It is better to get down to work than to worry about it as they say. Why not have the first bite?"

There was a sudden clatter of silverware behind us and I glanced back to see each servant from both households sitting perfectly still, ready to dine.

"Y-Yes, alright. Time to eat!" Prince Soma announced a bit nervously, before taking his own spoon and digging into the plate. I did the same and quickly popped the curry into my mouth, savoring the delicious texture that I, for some inexplicable reason, felt to be rather familiar.

"The aroma is very different from the last," Ciel commented, poking around at the dish.

"The spices present an extraordinary banquet," Lau added, putting a spoon of curry in his mouth as Salvador and Yuki watched in anticipation.

After a few seconds, Lau spoke again. "My, this is... delicious!!"

Salvador grinned widely and twisted his mustache in satisfaction while Yuki clapped her hands in delight, eyes darting back and forth to assure herself that everyone had taken a bite. Even Ciel managed to speak kindly after chewing on his meal.

"The stewed chicken is so tender it practically melts in your mouth." he said, and I smiled warmly, pleased that he wasn't being picky with the food my servants had made.

"Prince Soma, what do you think?" Rodric inquired after a moment of listening to everyone's praises. After all, his input was the most important. All heads turned to look at the young Prince with wide eyes and furrowed brows, who was shaking his own head and disapproval, and almost disappointment. Instantly, I set my silverware down and pushed the plate away, Ciel followed suit.

"This won't do. The aroma is well done and good but... The taste is a whole other story."

Sebastian held his hand to his head thoughtfully and Rodric closed his eyes in deep consideration, listening to Soma.

"Is that so...?" Yuki mumbled, and Salvador clenched his fist tightly in the air.

"Then, let us try a spice blend that has a similar aroma but will create a different taste," he said, and both demons nodded. I dabbed the ends of my lips gently with a nearby cloth and held back my smile as I saw Finny and the Twins finish up the curry that everyone had set aside. Even Tanaka was happily munching on his own plate, sitting aside from Finny to avoid having his dish finished for him.

"If only there was even one thing I knew about the way Agni prepared his curry..." Soma said suddenly said with eyes shut, "but I, utterly ignorant as I am..."

He looked down and pressed his face into one of his hands, pained, "Someone such like me should just--"

Ciel looked towards the now teary Prince and then to me quickly before speaking, obviously tired of Prince Soma continuously putting himself down.

"You should really learn how to stop blaming yourself."

Sebastian quickly intervened and flashed everyone a closed-eye smile, while Rodric bowed with his hand placed at his heart.

"Please do not berate yourself so," said Sebastian.

"There are yet things that only Prince Soma can do," said Rodric. Yuki pulled out my seat and I stood up, brushing down the front of my dress before beginning to head out of the room with a determined glare. There was the sudden sound of a chair scraping the floor and quick footsteps behind me made me pause and spin around.

"Where do you think you're going?" Ciel asked me with crossed arms. "You can't just leave your guests unattended, it's bad etiquette."

I continued to walk out into the halls, and Ciel gave a loud sigh and began walking alongside me, irritated. Flashing him a smile, I led him to the library and shut the doors behind us, smiling at how nice and warm the large open room was.

"Go read a book Ciel, and in a bit, we'll go check on the demons."

-

...My Countess orders, I obey; Anyone who dares interfere, will have Hell to pay...