[26] Her Butler, Evicted

It seemed as though fate had been watching over me with a keen eye, because by some miraculous and inexplicable reason, Ciel's face met with the marble floor seconds after West had departed from their long chat, leaving us all in shock as to how he could have fallen so nastily.

"Are you sure you're all right, Master?" Finny asked him, holding a bag of ice to him in concern.

We mingled amongst the crowd of men, woman and children, all of whom were awaiting the announcement for the commencement of the competition. Rodric had already made his way towards the back of the stage to prepare the cooking and Sebastian had stayed behind to watch over us in case anything went astray.

"We can go get some more ice, we can!" Mey-Rin offered.

Yuki and Salvador were probably the most worried out of the eleven of us all. She was biting her bottom lip as she craned her neck to catch a glimpse of anything on the large stage and Salvador was muttering lowly in Spanish, fingers twisting his mustache with each word.

"If you keep it on your forehead, it will slow the swelling." I advised, and he did as told with an angry grumble.

The curtain before us fluttered slightly, silencing everyone like a quick ripple in a small pond until the effect reached everyone. A man stepped out from behind the red sheets with a wide smile and I clasped my hands together in excitement.

"We have now come to the highlight of 'The Empire Governed Indian Culture and Prosperity Exhibition'." He announced, holding up the large entertainment poster. "With participants from famous curry houses throughout London, let the curry show begin!"

A loud roar of applause and cheers erupted from the crowd and the twins hoisted Finny up on their shoulders in equal excitement, only to have him set back down when Yuki hit all three with her fan with a harsh scold, reminding them to act like civilized workers.

"We have prepared a special curry for the guests who are present, so please wait in anticipation!"

I held my stomach and frowned, not fond of the idea much at all. I'd had my fill of the Indian dish, enough to last me for quite some time.

"I came prepared," Ciel told me as he lowered the bag of ice from his face, snapping his fingers. "I too am sick of curry for the time being."

A small, wrapped plate was handed to me by Sebastian, who smiled and also gifted me with a small spoon. The plate was warm, and as I unwrapped it, the delightful smell of freshly baked sugar cookies filled my senses.

"Please, enjoy them as we wait." He encouraged politely.

"Now today's judges are: a palace chef who will not allow any compromises in taste -- Chef Higharm!; A tax collector currently serving in India -- Mr. Carter!; And to conclude our list of amazing judges... Viscount Druitt, whose love for fine arts and quality food suits him for no better position!"

Besides me, Ciel began to choke on his cookie and Lau stared at the Viscount in puzzlement. I for one hadn't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but for some strange reason, I was glad for it.

"Wasn't he arrested by the yard?"

Sebastian began to pay Ciel's back gently, head shaking and small smirk growing.

"Whatever for?" I asked with a light gasp, surprised.

"It's a rather long story..." Ciel muttered with slightly tinted cheeks as he wiped the side of his mouth, now well having finished the snack. "He probably bribed his way out."

A long line of chefs began to file out onto the stage and I waved Ciel away, motioning for him to be quiet.

"And here are today's contestants!"