[29] Her Butler, Tearful

Start from the beginning

"Who do you think you are, coming all this way just to get in the way of others?!"

She stood in front of West as though defending him from any further shame, but it was a bit too late for that.

"Come home with you? Don't make me laugh, Prince! What kind of home was that to me?"

The pained look Soma had as Mina continued to shout awful realities struck a chord in my chest, my own eyes beginning to brim with tears as I stayed in my place. Even Ciel seemed to have been touched because his lips were now pursed as he glanced from Agni and Soma in comprehension.

Agni had known all along that Mina never intended on returning with them.

"I didn't want to live my entire life tied to the social position I was born into." She hissed maliciously, eyes narrowed. "And then, finally, I got my ticket out of India!"

Prince Soma blinked, finally snapping out of his hurt trance to respond with an empty murmur. "So you willingly came here with West..."

"That's right. Life as a servant? Or a rich man's wife? Even a child knows which is better."

My fists clenched at my sides, teeth now gritting as she kept spitting arrows at Soma's heart.

"Besides... I've had more than enough of babysitting a selfish brat like you!"

The final blow was dealt and I began to once again try and argue with her myself, taking a step forward with fists now ready to throw when an arm swiftly wrapped itself around my middle, pulling me back with a quick yank as I was left to watch Soma respond to her cruel poison dipped words.

"Let him learn." Ciel whispered to me, letting me go.

Despite the incredible urge to ignore him and proceed with my intentions, I sighed and gave a slow nod. He was right after all. Soma would never learn if there was always someone there to defend him.

Thus his next words brought proud smirks to our faces.

"I'm sorry."

Agni's sobs were halted and Mina's eyes widened.

"We were together all the time, but I didn't understand how you were feeling at all... forgive me for chasing you to Great Britain without stopping to think about the trouble I would be causing you."

With a raise of his head, Soma gave Mina a saddened smile, as though he was reminiscing his past few days with the sorrowful realization that he had been careless in his actions.

I was touched.

"And also... I thank you for all you've done for me till now."

With a swift motion and not a glance back, he moved past her, fists closed as began walking up the steps of the stage, smile warming and eyes shining brilliantly with newfound comprehension and understanding.

"I've always passed the blame on to other people. My being alone in the palace Father and Mother's fault. Mina going away was West's. But the reality was different."

He continued on past Rodric, who raised an eyebrow at his curious behavior.

"I, who did nothing but complain while sponging off my parents, was truly the one at fault. And who would love such a brat. However..." Now at Agni's feet, Prince Soma looked down at him with such appreciation, eyes becoming tearful once more as he spoke to his butler now directly. "However, you remained by this foolish Prince's side... You continued to do so, even after you left me. Forgive me for making you shoulder such heavy burdens all this time."

Tears began to run down Agni's cheeks again and I myself quickly took hold of the handkerchief Yuki was holding out to me, dabbing my eyes gently and ignoring Ciel's glare.