[25] Her Butler, At The Crystal Palace

Start from the beginning

"Well? We haven't got all day. The competition starts in an hour."

Ciel bared his teeth at me for a moment until he finally scoffed, walking behind me as we reached the carriages in an agitated huff.

Seeing Ciel flustered really did lighten my spirits.

-

The Crystal Palace, in all its marvel and glory, most certainly held up to its grand name.

Meters above our heads sparkled arches of luminous crystal glass, reflecting the bright and traditional colors that were present at our feet; the plants and Indian adornments livened the atmosphere tremendously keeping everyone content and wonderfully amazed at yet again the Queen's marvelously planned gatherings.

Even the servants were enjoying themselves quite nicely without causing any type of disruption.

"Wow!" Finny cried out, eyes and smile wide as he pointed ahead with childlike fascination. "What's that over there?"

The twins were instantly at his side, peering over the iron railing that separated the three of them from the large gray mammal-- thankfully.

"It's all dressed up, kawaī ne1." Yuki chuckled.

I smiled and watched as Prince Soma began to lecture all eight servants on his country's culture, impressing even myself when I overheard that he had about ten similar elephants back home.

Then again, he was a prince.

"And what's that?" Baldroy asked.

"Oh, that's a snake charmer."

My heart thumped in my chest and I spun around, eyes darting to find the beautifully scaled creatures when a hand grabbed my arm and pulled me back to my spot, leaving me with a unsatisfied pout.

"Don't wander." Ciel told me with a small roll of his eyes.

"Yahoo, Earl and Countess!"

A waving hand caught our eye and we turned towards a fountain to see Lau sitting leisurely on its edge, hugging Ran-Mao tightly between his legs. I smiled when I saw her and went over to greet her when Ciel spoke.

"You brought one of your girls even though you would be in front of clients?"

I shook my head and quickly responded before Lau could, waving Yuki over to ask if she had any seaweed treats for her.

"She isn't one of his girls, you twit. She's practically his sister."

A wrapped square was placed in my hand and I quickly handed it over to Ran-Mao, whose expression immediately brightened when the treat was opened. Behind us, Ciel began stalking away and I rushed to catch up with him, waving Chinese duo over to follow.

"Anyway, is the Prince's butler really serious?" Lau asked, speeding past Sebastian and Rodric to look at Ciel directly.

"He betrayed the master he regards as his God." Ciel responded, eyes closed as he continued to walk. "What else would he be if not serious?"

Not wanting to feel left out, I spoke up.

"Be that as it may, I wouldn't trust West with even the simplest of tasks."

Lau's interest peaked and Ciel proceeded, nodding at my statement in approval.

"I believe it's safe to assume that the likelihood of West's evil deeds being exposed will increase significantly if he relinquishes his hold on Agni after all is said and done, sought after Royal-Warrant in hand or not. If I were in his shoes I'd..."

"Kill him?"

I rolled my eyes at Lau's smiling suggestion and shook my head.

"Not all problems can be fixed with murder, you know." I told him with a pinch of my nose.

"Ehhh? If it were up to me, he's be as good as dead!"

Lau's solutions gave no light to a possible plausible outcome, and so we continued walking along the Crystal Palace when a voice called for Ciel.

A recognizable and oily voice, that is.

"Well if it isn't Lord Phantomhive!"

Mr. West removed his hat in salute to us, oblivious to the fact that we had invaded and aided in the destruction of his home days ago. It made me smile to remember the uproar we had caused.

"Yes, hello Lord West..." Ciel said, glancing towards me.

"It was been quite some time my Lord! Not since last years London season, I believe!" He exclaimed, walking over with a wide smile. "I'm most honored to make your acquaintance once more!"

His eyes flashed to me, and in a quick second, he began to heartily laugh, unnerving us all.

"I see you've procured yourself a mistress!"

Equally taken aback, Ciel and I both flinched harshly at the notion, trying to desperately shake off any idea from West in stuttering denials and broken explanations, becoming more and more irritated the less and less the butlers tried to help.

"No!" I cried out, stamping my foot down and shoving a finger in Ciel's chest roughly. "How dare you assume such a thing?! I am a lady! Countess DelMare, to be precise! I would never stoop as low to become a mistress, much less so to him!"

I continued to jab my finger into his coat until Ciel stepped back, uncomfortable and a bit mortified at how loud we had become.

"I am dutifully engaged to my cousin, Elizabeth Midford." Ciel said, head shaking. "I have no present intentions of breaking the engagement, much less create an infidelity."

Chuckling and bowing, West placed his hat at his chest and apologized, smile still plastered on his face.

"My deepest and sincerest apologies to you both." He said, "I just saw what a beautiful woman you had at your side and suspected the best. She would be a much better suit for you, if I dare say, Lord Phantomhive."

I visibly winced at the insult straight at Elizabeth but Ciel seemed to pay no mind, waving his hand as it was common opinion.

"You're quite daring today, aren't you, Mr. West?" I challenged, only to be ignored by Ciel and him both.

Rodric and Sebastian placed each of their gloved hands on my shoulder in consolation as both men continued to speak and I held back the urge to growl and shove my fist in Ciel's stomach, remembering that a lady does not directly partake in the dirty work she wants accomplished.

"Rodric, would you mind tripping Ciel on our way to the curry stands?" I mumbled with crossed arms, vexed.

"Of course, my Countess." Rodric said, smile wide and coy.

I glanced to Sebastian and he playfully looked away, as though he hadn't heard our conversation in the first place. My own smile grew and I became content once more.

After all, it was bad etiquette to ignore your company and I'm sure Sebastian agreed.

-

Ahhh I'm sooooo excited for my the upcoming arc! I can't wait until it's revealed to everyone! I've been doing so much research on it and I hope you all enjoy it!

-

...My Countess orders, I obey; Anyone who dares interfere, will have Hell to pay...