Chapter 23

"Well, there is plenty of good news. There are no abnormalities and you seem to be in perfect condition, Nira." He started.

"And the baby?" Kylo urgently pressed, "Do you know the gender? Is it alright?"

"Ba-bies." The doctor corrected Kylo. "Babies. Plural."

"Twins?!" I exclaimed, glancing up at Kylo fearfully and then back to the doctor.

The doctor looked at me sagely over the rims of his glasses.

"Triplets."

_____

*****

"Will you stop pacing?" I exclaimed as Kylo made his fiftieth lap around the perimeters of the room. 

Kylo shook his head, looking down at the floor ahead of him. The doctor had left ten minutes ago and chaos had consumed our room. 

"Triplets?!" Kylo uttered in disbelief for the hundredth time, "Triplets?!" 

I sighed and replied, "I know, Kylo, I know! Can you please talk to me?!" 

"I mean, we can do this right? We can raise three children, keep them in good health, keep them safe from war that constantly threatens our organization, right? We can do all that and still run the First Order? And fight in battle?" Kylo's words fell crazily from his mouth. My head was spinning. 

"Kylo!" I had to shout, and finally my husband froze and looked at me with a concerned, wild expression. 

"What?" He asked back, temporarily broken from his frenzied trance. 

"Sit down!" I ordered. Kylo slowly walked to the edge of my bed and perched himself.

"Triplets." He slowly whispered in awe, slowly shaking his head. I couldn't help but roll my eyes and mutter, "Men." 

"We need to talk about this." I calmly said, and Kylo looked at me and sighed. 

"I'm sorry, Nira, I just -- I can't believe this." He apologized, and I scoffed. 

"You think I'm doing any better? The thought of -- of going into labor?! For three whole babies?" I was at a loss for words after that, the sensation of panic rising in me. 

"No, Nira, no." Kylo stated firmly, leaning over and gripping my hand tightly. "We can do this. I know we can." 

I was surprised by his sudden change in demeanor, but I was totally okay with it. I took a deep breath, nodded, and clutched his hand back. "We can do this." I agreed, and Kylo nodded. 

"I mean, if we take a second to think about it . . . Think of all the resources we have. And I know the First Order is constantly at odds, but . . . These kids are going to have literally the most powerful parents in the galaxy. I think they'll be just fine." Kylo assured me, and I nodded. My throat felt tightly clamped. 

"I'm worried about the due date." I blurted out, and Kylo frowned in concern. 

"Why? What about it?" He asked. 

"You mentioned that the Legions of Chrome would be gone for two weeks? So in two weeks, we will be in full war with them, correct?" I ascertained, and Kylo nodded. 

"When I was on Theed, my doctor said that the baby -- well, babies -- had accelerated growth rate. Obviously. I've only been pregnant for two weeks and I'm already halfway done with my pregnancy. Well, my babies were due in a little over two weeks when I was on Theed. So now . . . The babies are essentially due on the starting date of the war with the Legion of Chrome." I admitted. The fear I felt inside didn't match my guilty tone.