Reflections

The news helicopter touched down on the courtyard of the prison, grass blowing around it as it landed. Jason stood next to Max, Laureen, and Hiroshi, watching as the side door of the helicopter opened and a news reporter stepped out with a cameraman.

The news reporter was a middle-aged woman and looked toward the group, her blonde hair dancing in the wind of the chopper. She slowly approached the group and extended her hand to Laureen, clutching her microphone in her free hand.

"You must be Salamander," The woman said, Laureen taking her hand. They both shook as the helicopter powered down behind them. "The, uh, leader of the team? I'm Stacey Jones of CNN. I saw your news conference. I wish I could have covered that but this...this might be even better."

"Good to meet ya', Ms. Jones," Laureen said with a grin, letting go of the woman's hand. She jerked a thumb at the others. "These are the rest of us. We got two more but they're out of it right now, although the professor should be getting his ass up soon. You know what we're doing here?" As she spoke, Jason smiled as best he could hoping he looked friendly as he stood silently at her side.

"Yeah..." Jones bit her lower in apprehension, swallowing sharply. "Sending out a broadcast message to those terrorists that have been, uh, terrorizing the country for the past few days. Apparently you all are going to lure them in with this message?"

"That's right," Max muttered, arms crossed. "We'd like to get started right now. You got everything you need?"

"Yeah," Jones nodded sharply at her cameraman and he began to set up his device. She looked back at them, looking nervous as all hell. "Are you...sure this will work? I've been briefed but..." She laughed. "It all sounds rather insane to me..."

Laureen smirked. "Shit lady, life's nuts. Especially for us. But yeah, we're confident it'll work. The bitch we're up against is sensitive to a bit of poking and we're gonna reel her in like a fish or some shit. All you gotta do is introduce, film our message, and get on the air. Everywhere."

Jones nodded and squeezed her microphone. "Our network is a go on that. It'll be an emergency broadcast. All satellites are ready to receive. Every man, woman, and child with a signal is going to see this. We'll get the job done...I promise."

Jason nodded with a smile, a gesture echoed by his three friends. "We appreciate that," He said with a grin. "Thank you."

Jones smiled. "No...thank you. You've done a lot to help this country. You've stopped a lot of disasters and saved thousands...maybe millions...of lives. I may not understand you all but I...I appreciate what you kids are doing..." She shook her head, sighing. "You're all so young...Christ."

"Hey, I ain't that fucking old yet!" Laureen snorted. "And I don't intend for this shebang to be my last rodeo. Anyway, we ain't got too much time. Let's do this."

"Right..." Jones raised her microphone and pointed it at their face. "Erm..." She tapped a receiver in her ear. "We're going live. Yes, now. Yep, they said they're good. No, chief, we're going live now.Yes, I'm prepped, now shut up and let me do my job."

The camera was raised. Jason steadied himself, suddenly aware that he was going on live television before an audience of millions. His mouth suddenly felt drier and he looked down at himself, aware suddenly of his torn up costume. He swallowed hard, a bit nervous, but Max gripped his shoulder.

"Don't worry," He said. "Don't be nervous. Just say what comes from the heart. We're talking to Jacqueline here. No one else. Let's tell her what's on our minds."

Jason nodded, returning the smile with a cocky one of his own. Jones waved a hand and said, "Get closer together. Really bunch up." Jason scooted closer to Max, Max shoving his hands into his jacket pockets and straightening up. Hiroshi adjusted his scarf, looking embarrassed as he moved between Jason and Max, standing on his tiptoes to be seen among them. Laureen stood in front, the shortest of the group but the one the others crowded around.