65: Intimidation Nation

(A/N: Since there was some confusion in the last chapter I thought I'd explain the two new characters. 1. Edmund Chambers: Mia's ex... we'll be learning more about him. He's mysterious for a reason people. 2. Hannah Townes Westin: also known as Carolina, Harry's ex-girlfriend and the woman who inspired the song. She's also Mia's old friend from New York. 3. Edmund and Hannah are now together. It's a lot but I hope this clears things up and if it doesn't, know that ALL, yes ALL, questions will be answered in time. Patience my lovely readers. Enjoy.)

"The west coast, an interesting choice to hide out in."

Not good enough as it seems.

"I wouldn't have pegged you as an LA girl but it suits you nicely..." he chuckles twisting a strand of my hair between his fingers making my body shiver with discomfort. "Nice dye job by the way."

"Edmund you don't know anything," I shake my head, freeing my hair from his grasp and shuffling back. "Why are you here?"

I wasn't foolish enough to think that I would never see Edmund again. I just thought when I had to it would be in the distant future. In my fantasy I'd be pushing middle age and attending his funeral after having died of something mundane and clearly avoidable, sniggering at a blown-up photo of his vile face and lagging behind so I could spit on his grave once everyone left.

Okay, maybe I really did think I'd never see him again.

No matter what I thought before, the very last thing I would have guessed would have been seeing him here at Harry's party... actually, it's Jeff's party.

Oh my god, did he invite Edmund?

No, he couldn't have.

If Jeff did, in fact, invite Edmund as another one of his sick and twisted tests then that would mean Jeff knows everything and he wouldn't be able to keep his mouth shut if that was the case. And I definitely wouldn't be here with Harry. Jeff wouldn't have only not invited me but would have made sure I was nowhere near Harry or this party... that is if he knew.

Jeff might be a pretty annoying person with a very questionable moral character but he didn't do this.

I'm sure of it.

My heart is ticking in my chest, the pounds reverberating through my body like the base of the music does to the whole room.

After a moment Edmund reaches out and touches my arm making me cringe away from him and silently curse Monica for dressing me in a short sleeve top.

"I wanted to see you and when Hannah said she was going to try and get in I couldn't pass up the opportunity."

"What does Hannah have to do with any of this?"

"Oh my darling," he steps closer, his forceful fingers wrapping around my arm and pulling me in close enough so I can smell the liquor on his breath. "You shouldn't have left like you did. A lot has changed."

My heart stops and my blood runs cold. Just this morning I was laying in bed with Harry, his hand wandering over my clothes trying to turn me on but rather making me giggle at the feeling, and now I'm standing here next to my ex who happens to be in a relationship with Harry's ex and my former best friend at Jeff's party scaring the hell out of me.

It feels like my head is about to spin off my very neck.

"Let go of me," I try to pull back it only causes him to hold on tighter. "Edmund."

"I don't think I will," he says calmly.

To an outsiders eye, there isn't anything wrong with this situation. Edmund has such a calm exterior, even with the way he's holding onto my arm is subtle and the closeness could be due to him being attentive to me in an attempt to flirt.