HOME SWEET HOME

HOME SWEET HOME

It's a week since the prison burned down. Karen walked with Judith, in a back strap, hungry, tired, weak.

She was running low on baby formula, which wasn't good at all because the next store is 30 miles from where she was.

Karen sighed before she continued walking down the street; approaching a small group of walkers. She grabbed her sliencer and shot at the group; all bullets going through their skulls before she walked past their dead corpse.

~

Karen smiled in relief as she came across a house in her path. It looked abandoned which meant no one's been there for a while.

Karen rushed to the house and opened up the rusted doors. It revealed a lovely lobby, that was once red and shiny, now gray and rusted with a broken chandelier hanging from the ceiling which would at any moment come falling down.

"Well, it's not the best, Judith," Karen began before she found a dusty couch and a cratel with it. "But it will be of some use until we find your Dad and the others."

Judith cooed with happiness which brought a smile to Karen's face before they settled down.

~

The candles were lit and it was the perfect place to settle down for the night. And thanks to the people that lived there before, Karen was able to find food.

"So, you want peas or mixed fruit?" Karen asked Judith as she brought in two cans. Judith continued to stare at the can of mixed fruit which caused Karen to giggle.

"Mixed fruit it is." She announced before cracking open the can and grabbing a clean spoon. Karen, for the first time in her life, began to feed a baby. She's never done it before, she's never seen it be done before. So, let's just say she was a beginner.

Judith munched on a few fruits as Karen watched. She looked so adorable just eating away her food, Karen thought and placed a hand on Judith's cheek.

The sound of rustling interrupted the lovely moment. Karen blew out a couple of candles to dim the light before grabbing her sliencer and made her way to the source of the sound.

The sound attracted her to outside the house. She looked around as she heard more. She pulled it off safety as she prepared to shoot. But she gasped when she saw a woman approach from the trees.

"Hello?"

"Who are you?" Karen asked as she held the gun up close to her face.

"My name is Carol. I'm looking for Rick Grimes and his group. Is he in there?" Karen lowered her gun when she mentioned Rick before she shook her head.

"No. Just me and his baby Judith." The woman, Carol, eyes went wide as she quickly went into the house and spotted Judith laying in a cartel.

Carol picked Judith up and rocked her; whispering multiple greetings and kind words as she kissed the baby's cheek.

"You got a name?"

"Karen." Jane introduced as Carol nodded with a smile.

"Are there any others alive that you know of?" Karen asked as she placed the gun in her holster.

"Yes. Tyreese, Lizzie, Mika. That's all I know of." Carol stated as Karen sighed in relief. At least she knew that they were still alive.

"You can make yourself comfortable for tonight. Didn't want you going out there on your own." Karen stated as she brushed off a dusty blanket. Carol smiled before taking it.

"Thank you." Karen nodded before she sat down on the couch.

"So how did you end up with Judith?" Carol asked as Karen looked over at Judith who was falling asleep in Carol's arms.

"Well, long story short, I met Carl in the woods, he left, I found weapons, came across the prison. They took me in, gave me proper treatment, me and Judith here clicked really quick. Couple days later, the Governor came, took down the fences, stormed the place. I was on my own with Judith since then." Karen explained.

Carol nodded before Karen handed her some mixed fruit.

"You go ahead and eat." Carol stated as Karen shook her head.

"I'm okay. I already ate some. I'm good." Carol nodded before she took the can and began eating it. Karen smiled before looking at Judith once more. Karen took Judith from Carol and placed her in the cartel.

Once she did, she began to rock the cartel.

"I'll take watch." Karen looked up as Carol began to take her gun. "You get some rest."

Karen nodded; too tired to argue before she laid across the couch and fell asleep.

773 words