Chapter 32 Goodbye

WARNING:- THE CHAPTER MENTIONS SUICIDE.  Do play the song while reading.

********************

We were alarmed by a scream that came from the pack clinic. It was of Jo's mother, Rita. All of us dashed to the clinic to find her throwing the oxygen mask and pushing away the pack doctor. She kicked and screamed. She was about to punch her too while I held her hand and twisted it behind her. She tried to kick me but I held her foot between my knees.

I held her in that position and asked her threateningly, "If I let you go, promise you won't fight?"

She nodded her head but I was still alert when I let her go. She fell to the ground and clutched her knees closer to her chest. The room was filled with her sobs.

I felt thankful for the fact that Jo was being a good boy and decided to stay behind. He wouldn't be able to see his mother like this.

"Rita please listen to me." I said softly. But she didn't even look up.

"Rita, please. You have to let us help you. Just hear us out once, for Jo." I pleaded.

She looked up at the mention of name of Jo as if telling me to continue.

"You have to take care of Jo now. He has already asked for his mommy so many times since the morning. We can't do anything about what we lost but you can help us get back at them for his death." I said. At the mention of him, her eyes flashed hurt. Deep, unmovable and irrecoverable hurt. She closed her eyes again and more tears poured down.

"When they, when they were killing him what did you feel? Did he mind-link you anything?" I asked, almost whispered. It was as if I was walking on a thread. A wrong move and I knew she would close off on me.

"There were 3 people who killed him." She sobbed out but continued, "I-I felt their hands on him. He wasn't conscious for a long time, I think. But in the last few minutes when he gained conscious, he said this to me that it was dark so he didn't know who they were. He said that I should go away. A war is about to break out."

"I think they are using wolfsbane too." She said.

She suddenly stood up and shook Ashton by his collar. She said, "It is all your fault. Had you not been a pathetic excuse of an Alpha, he would have been alive."

She kept on whispering, 'He would have been alive.'

Ashton couldn't say anything. She was right. If he had taken his responsibilities properly, none of this would have ever happened.

She paced around as if it was too much to take in. Her cheeks were already stained with her tears but more never stopped coming out and she never made an attempt to wipe them either.

In a blur, she ran out. For a moment, we stopped and looked where she stood originally. And then all of us ran after her. She passed the kitchen where Jo was sitting but she didn't pay any heed to him.

He called out for her too but she never stopped nor did she say anything.

She ran upstairs and then another to the terrace that was at the third floor. We tried to outrun her and capture but our late reaction had kept us behind.

She opened the door and we were all met by cold wind, cold like death. She stopped a few metres before the edge and turned her back towards the edge.

"Don't." She said and held a finger up, as we started to step closer to us.

"I have nothing to live for now. He is dead. He would never be back. My wolf, it's hurting. My wolf isn't there anymore either." She sobbed out.

She made a hand gesture to stop me when I tried to move forward again.

"Stop! That's an order." Ashton said in his alpha tone.

She cringed. "I have nothing to lose now, anyway. You could have saved him."

"Rita. There is so much still left for you, for you to love. Think of Jo please. Don't make any rash decision. Just think for a moment. Please, Rita." I said.

As if on the cue, Jo came in. He rushed to his mom but she stopped him too.

Her eyes that had storms in them, softened but she refused to embrace her child.

"Listen Sierra, please take care of him and forgive me. I am sorry for what I did to you." She said, taking steps back. I moved forward but she stepped faster and farther away.

She fell from the edge and our hearts slumped. I heard Jo move but he never reached the edge. I stood there frozen. My breathing became shallow.

I looked down to see her body that laid unmoving on the ground. Her eyes as if stared back at me. It is easy to hear, to know but so hard to watch somebody die in front of your own eyes. Her eyes kept flashing in my mind as I closed my eyes. Something, I felt that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

Her words echoed in my mind and that's when it stuck me. She was Rita, Jake's mate. The same Jake and Rita who made fun of me and called me names, along with Ashton and Sarah. The same people who didn't believe me when I confessed that Ashton was my mate.

I whispered goodbye as Sam came and clutched me tight in an embrace.

*************************

A sad chapter. But I do mean it, what goes around, comes around. Next update would likely be on Monday. Sorry for that but I have an exam to prepare for. But I'll still try my best.