13. RED SKY AT MORNING

Depuis le début

When it became clear Lin didn't have much of a plan beyond standing uncomfortably close and glaring, Kiara finally spoke again. "Hello."

"Hadrian went with you."

"I," Kiara's eyes darted over Lin's head to Shabina, "yes? He asked and –"

"He's only fifteen."

"I'm not sure – "

"Lin," Shabina said, bleeding caution.

Lin's lips pursed and she took a step back from Kiara. It didn't make either of them feel better. She gave a cursory glance to the guards before flicking her eyes to Shabina. "Thanks for dinner."

Lin didn't smile. Should she smile? Something told her it would be less terrifying if she did. Or maybe it would be taken as a threat. No matter. She was a threat as long as her head was attached, and if they didn't notice they were morons.

She spun on her heel and slid between two of the guards, leaving the roof and taking the stairs. She breathed hard through her nose and worked the clasp of her holster.

Lin could almost hear Alekhine laughing at her. "You're hopeless."

"Yes, yes, I know," she muttered under her breath. She'd have been a terrible mother. Not that it was a worry anymore. She'd only had vague musings of a family with Alekhine. Nothing realistic - nothing attainable - but it had been there. Blood on their hands and books in their laps, they'd talked about a future.

"Don't worry, I'll be the one to take care of them. We all know you're a deadbeat."

"Sounds like a dream."

"Yeah. At least they'll love me more than you."

Alekhine had wanted it more than she did.

Perhaps he'd gotten tired of waiting and offered Hadrian the apprenticeship out of loneliness. She smiled. That made more sense than anything else - him growing weary Lin's apathy and grabbing at a chance to put someone in his debt.

When Lin caught sight of Hadrian, she couldn't help the small relief that washed over her at seeing him unharmed.

"Kid!" The calm slipped away beneath the force of anger.

His head snapped up. He'd changed out of his clothes from before, now wearing too-big trousers and what appeared to be Zeke's jacket. The smell of blood and seawater clung to his skin.

"I'm fine."

"I didn't ask," she said. She grabbed his arm and half-dragged him away from the small cluster of people she barely recognized.

"Hey - " a new person said. Lin blinked and he was between her and Hadrian. He hadn't broken her grip on Hadrian's arm, but it was a near thing. She furrowed her brow and sized up the newcomer. He was two heads taller than her, fit, with dark skin and chiseled features. Even so, there was a young softness to him. He puffed himself up slightly.

"Were you about to say something?" Lin glared at him. He swallowed.

"I was just going to - "

"It's fine, Cortez," Hadrian finally spoke.

Cortez pursed his lips and wavered. Only when Hadrian laid a slim hand on his arm did he finally step away.

"This is Lin. She's a hunter and my," he flicked his eyes to her, "friend."

He shifted his weight, pulling Lin gently. She shot Cortez a final glare that was more smug than anything else and followed Hadrian. He led her out of the room and into a shadowed hall. Unlit lamps were strung up above them, and there was a curious lack of windows.