[sp] prequel: pt. 2

When Junhoe paid me back, I grabbed the chance to ask what his next class was. It was pure coincidence that I had the same one, so without room for his refusal, I dragged him with me. I didn't care if we weren't that close, all I knew was that I had to put him inside that lecture hall. My teacher senses were tingling, okay?

Soon after that incident, he'd avoid me because he knew I'd drag him to his class again. It was funny to watch him running away from me, like I had a contagious disease or something. But I didn't give up. I knew it came in handy because soon, he began attending the class, even without the dragging.

Junhoe would annoy me in the middle of the lecture—his own way of payback—but it was okay. At least I got him attending, right? Ever since then, we hang out. Okay, maybe because I want to keep him in check too. He has to attend his classes.

After snacking at the food stalls in front of the university, we're walking on the sidewalk, letting our stomachs digest the food we ate. We have fifteen minutes to spare before our next class so we're not rushing or anything, enjoying the brisk air of summer. It's quite sunny but not to the point it'd burn our skin.

"So why boyfriend-less?" Junhoe asks. One thing I learn from hanging out with him is he's real chatty, if he wants to. Kinda a surprising fact since he exuded this 'silent guy' vibes when we first met.

I glance at him, finding his question a bit ridiculous. He's not the first person to ask me that. "Why does everyone assume I have to have a boyfriend? There's more to life than being tied to someone, you know. I know I have a pretty face, but this pretty face doesn't need a man."

He throws his hands up in the air. "No need to be defensive. Geez, I was asking..."

"Well, is it that weird? That I don't have a boyfriend, I mean."

Shrugging, he answers, "Surely you have someone keeping you busy."

"You're keeping me busy. Does that count?"

"Well, I'm flattered but—Wait..." Junhoe turns to me. "Is that you indirectly saying you like me?"

"Ha-ha. Please don't flatter yourself."

He looks like he'd say something in return but I stop on my tracks. He also stops and throws me a look, asking why I did that. "Hey, Junhoe. Do you have some spare change?"

"Is that your clever way of changing the subject?"

"Look." I nod towards a tanned middle-aged man wearing ragged clothes. He's lying on his chest on top of a woodboard, a small box in front of him. His face is strained with pain but every time someone passes by, he puts a smile. My heart lurches at the sight. I want to drop some money but all my money is in one bill. A part of me regrets spending a lot more than I should on snacks, then I'd have some spare change.

"Okay, why should I be concerned?"

"Do you have spare change? I don't have for the mean time but I promise I'll pay you back—"

"Chaeyoung, they make a living off your kindness. Most of the time, it's a scam."

My heart drops at that. "Gosh, Junhoe. What's the matter with you?"

But he continues to look oblivious. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

I shake my head. He doesn't understand so I leave him be and go to the nearest pedestrian lane. There are more arrays of shops if I go to the opposite side.