ventiséis

What is he doing?!

I begin to race to the stairs but stop myself once my mother invites Joey inside.

I bite my lip. Joey has met my father but... My mother?

"So you're Joey Birlem, the boy my husband is talking non-stop about?" My mother laughs.

"Yeah, I guess so," he chuckles back.

"Have you eaten dinner?" My mother asks.

"Yes," he answers, and I can see him nodding as I creep down the stairs.

"Mom, who are you talking to?" I ask obliviously.

"Joey," she answers. Joey watches me walk into the kitchen and I quickly death stare him, not allowing my mother to see.

"So you two are dating?" My mother asks, and I cringe at her words.

"Yes," I say quickly.

Joey keeps trying to make eye contact with me the entire time that we're sitting there, eating cookies and drinking milk, but I don't give him any.

How dare he show up at my house and introduce himself to my mother.

Him and mom talk for a while about random things that I already knew about him, like how his favourite colour was red and how he played football.

Thank God for when he was leaving. But I also cuss at God for what he chose to make my mother say next, just as she was about to close the door behind Joey.

"Joey..." She says, and I listen from the kitchen as she continues. "Would you like to join us for dinner tomorrow night?"

"Mrs Mendelman. I would love to," he says.

"Please, call me Bec," my mother insists, and he nods.

What?!

"I'll see you later, honey," she says, and closes the door behind him.

"Mom!" I snap.

"Yes?"

"Why would you invite him for dinner?!" I hiss.

"Well... He's your boyfriend. Is something wrong?"

I hesitate, realising what I'm demanding from her. "No."

"Good," she answers, walking back upstairs.

Shit.

----

I woke up with the sound of my loud alarm clock seeping through my ears.

I do my usual routine and then work on my assignments all day.

Once it's 6, I decide to get dressed for Joey coming over at 7.

I dress in a oversized red hoodie and some leggings; it's my house after all. I pull on some black socks just as I get the notification on my phone that someone has texted me.