uno

"I... I'm sorry, Kate-"

"Leave me alone," I cut him off in the cruellest yet most hushed tone I could let out before I began crying all over again.

"Please just listen to me-"

"Mike. I'm done with you. Leave me alone," I say clearly, pushing my chest out with a big breathe in and out.

He sighs. He glances down at his feet, and I look away.

'Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry...' I chanted in my head.

He slowly walked away, across the field. I sat down and sighed, holding back my tears as I watched him walk away from me.

He cheated on me.

And it had to be with her. My bully. The girl who's hated my guts since sixth grade. Ashley Kesten.

She's probably the most beautiful girl anyone has ever seen in their lives. With beach-curled blonde hair that goes down to her butt and striking blue eyes, she could pass off as a goddess.

But she's ugly on the inside. So is her army of girls.

But whatever. I have my friends.

Clara, Evie and Layla. They have and always will be my circle of friends that I look up to everyday.

And me?

I'm Katherine Mendelman, one of the school's many girl nerds.

I have extremely straight brunette hair naturally, but at the moment it's a bit of an ombre from brunette to a deep blonde. And yes, I wear glasses. And with boring, brown eyes, my look doesn't go very far into people's brains. They see me, they move on. I'm nothing that special to anyone.

No wonder why I've been cheated on twice so far this year. And it's only April.

"No more," I say, feeling the hot tears come to my eyes, "no more falling in love. If boys want me, they come to me."

As if.

I walk slowly along the fence line of the schools' football field, staring at my hand tracing the cold metal, not really knowing where I was going and how long it would take for me to get there.

Suddenly, I hear boys yelling and laughing, up ahead. I glance up to see the football team laughing and cracking jokes. Yep, they probably hate me too. They probably think I'm ugly and forgettable just like everyone else.

I sigh and think about why I'm even here, my backpack still strapped on, walking to no destination in particular. But something inside me urges me to keep walking forward. That same voice that's been telling me that same phrase my whole life.

'Keep going. Move on. Find something new.'

Does it ever happen?

Sometimes. But I'll only be hurt again. And there comes the voice one more time.

No, an actual voice. Coming from in front of me.

Reality kicks in.

"Hello?" I hear, and I zone back into reality. I stare into the eyes of the football jock who is staring at me, a few feet apart from me. "Kate?"

I blink a few times. "Hey, sorry."

"Hey. I was just wondering if you needed any help with anything. You seem a little lost," he says, and I look to see all the other footballers staring at me.

"I-I'm not lost," I say.

"You know where you are right?" another jock says, and some of them laugh. In fact, all laugh except the one standing in front of me, who looks annoyed at the boys.

He glares at them, and they soon stop laughing and regain their solemness.

I focus on this boys' features as he does this.

Brown, shaggy hair, tall, and hazel-green eyes.

"Kate," I hear him say, and I realise I've zoned out again.

"Sorry. Today's been a little rough. I'm zoning out a lot," I blabber, and he looks a little concerned.

"Are you okay?" he asks, and I can tell he asked that beforehand so he's repeating himself.

"I'm fine. Why do you care anyway?" I ask, and it immediately seems self-centred.

"Because he cares about everyone," a jock chimes in.

"This kid, little goodie-two shoes, is caring about everyone," Charles Gitnick says. I know Charles Gitnick.

He's the guy Layla's been crushing on for years.

He has dirty blonde curly hair, with green eyes. He's almost as tall as this boy, which is pretty tall.

"Shut up Char," The boy standing in front of me says, not daring to look away from my eyes.

I do, though. It made me nervous.

"How do you know my name?" I snap at this boy, and they all stare at him.

"I'm in your maths and science classes," he explains.

It's quiet for a moment before I speak, breaking the silence.

"I should get going," I say harshly to them, and they all look a little surprised.

"So soon?" a jock asks, "didn't you wanna see us practise like all the other girls?"

He motions to the girls sitting on the bleachers on the other side of the field with his head.

I shake my head as soon as they all look at me for an answer. "I'm not like those girls. Starving for attention."

And with that, I spin around on my toes, and walk away, towards the direction of my house.

----

New book, feeling good❤️
Any requests let me know. Love y'all. 😌

Also, if you guys know anyone who writes good choey books or you want me to check out yours, let me know. I need to read more rather than write ahaha. Ps don't be offended if I don't read your books etc, I'm really particular and bitchy about picking out books that I like. I'm sure they're all amazing💗

-Chloe xxx