cinco

There's something about this Joey kid that lures me in.

And it's not that he's amazingly gorgeous or the fact that he's a footballer and I'm a nerd.

Because I know that'll never happen. He's only trying to be nice, or to show who he really is, which might I add, is genuine.

----

Hopefully this isn't a regular thing.

I am late... again.

Late to math class, where I could be studying with that boy...

Joey.

I gave him my number during math last week, and he hasn't texted me yet. I feel like I should ask him about it... But I don't want to seem clingy.

Do I like him?

I don't know.

I would if I were popular. But I'm not, so I guess not. But he is very attractive in every single way.

But I know what footballers are like. They play with you like you're a brand new toy. That's what I learned from the last one...

Suddenly my phone dings, and I jump. It's been in my pocket since this morning. The only thing I did was put it on the bench yesterday after noon, and put it in my pocket this morning.

I haven't been bothered to check it since yesterday morning. While I was on the bus.

I checked it now.

5 unread messages.

Unknown number

Hey, it's Joey.
Yesterday, 6:45AM
Crazy morning this morning
Yesterday, 8:23AM
Hello? 😂
Yesterday, 12:00PM
Are you late again??
Today, 8:26AM
Girl seriously you need to check ur phone💀
Today, 8:28AM

I sighed, and laughed a little at his texts. And I'm worried about being clingy.

Hey, sorry. Didn't check my phone yesterday. Yes, another crazy morning😂I'm on my way, DW.

I smiled to myself as I made my way to the class.

From: Joey
Thank God! These people in this class are so confuffles

I laughed out loud, trying not to be too loud.

Confuffles?

From: Joey
Ahhh autocorrect. Sorry. **confusing

To: Joey
Sureee😂

I made my way to the class, and as soon as I arrived and saw Joey laughing at me, I began laughing at him.

The class stared at Joey and I. But I didn't care. And he didn't seem to, either, which made me feel somewhat special.

It made me love Joey Birlem even more, even though I barely knew him, and even though I was still cautious.

Footballers are not those to be trusted.

"Hello Joseph," I say cheekily, and he smiles.

"Hello Kate," he replies back as he watches me take the seat next to him, throwing my bag lightly on the floor of the classroom, below my desk.

"How are you?" He asks.

"Well, and you?" I ask, and I can tell, just like me, he's trying to keep his giggles in.

"Fine thanks," he says, chuckling a little. I smile at him, and realise how much I'm probably creeping him out.

I turn away, and make eye contact with a boy who was also on the football team. He was one of those ones who spoke to me.

"I'm fine. Why do you care anyway?" I ask, and it immediately seems self-centred.

"Because he cares about everyone," a jock chimes in.

That other jock was the one who was staring at me right now, the one I couldn't take my eyes off.

That's when I realised Joey wasn't the only footballer who was so strikingly handsome. Almost every boy in the football team was gorgeous.

This boy had blondish brown, straight hair. He was tall, like Joey. He was wearing a simple orange sweater, and some black ripped jeans, complete with some black and grey sneakers.

He smiled a little and my immediate reaction was to turn away and back to Joey. I can't fall for two.

Joey was staring at me as well. For a second I thought it was Joey and this other boy making eye contact, but then I pushed the thought aside.

Because Joey was looking straight dead into my eyes.

"Hi?" I question him.

"Mark Thomas? Really?" He says in a slightly judgmental tone, one I've never heard him say toward me before.

It intimidated me.

"Who?" I ask dumbly.

"The boy who smiled at you. Mark. He's the schools biggest--" he cut himself off, "nevermind."

"He was staring at me first," I say, trying to justify myself to this boy.

"I know. He does that to every girl. Plays them," Joey says in a disgusted tone.

I look down at my fiddling hands. "Oh," is all I can muster.

"Please don't fall for a douche like him. Fall for a more important guy," he says.

This made my heart drop. Of course I wished my chances with Joey were high... But now I know they're not.

"Like who?" I ask, "no boy would date me. Plus, I just got cheated on. I'm doing fine by myself."

"You were cheated on?" He says, surprised, "by who?"

"Two different boys," I reply.

"Can you tell me?" He asks.

"Why do you care?" I snap.

"Because you're my... Friend. And I care about my friends," he says.

But what I took in is how he hesitated on the word friend, as if he were going to say something else.

"You're not going to beat him up or anything, right?" I ask.

"Of course not," he says, then thinks for a second. "Unless..."

"Unless what?" I ask.

"Unless he really hurt you," Joey replies, and we lock eyes as I reply to him.

"In that case, I mustn't tell you who it is."

----

These updates are so slow, I'm just 1) tryina think of good ideas and 2) kinda busy oops

My dad comes this week and I haven't seen him in over a year so I'm really excited. I'll try update, but idk.

He's only here for 5 days until he goes back to the US so I'll update after he leaves if I didn't have time while he is here.

Love you guys x

-Chloe xxx