tres

I enter my math class on Monday. I have science right after this. Our math and science teacher are the same, and he's a pretty nice guy. He lets us do what we want as long as we pay attention to his teaching first; which only lasts like 10 minutes of the lesson.

"Is this seat taken?" Someone asks me, and I look up to see Joey Birlem standing there, holding the back of the empty seat next to me.

"No," I reply quickly, and he sits down, throwing his bag onto the floor as if it weighed 100 kilos.

"Do you know how much text books weigh?" He complains, then adds, "especially when I'm also carrying a laptop and 5 other books."

I laugh. "Do you have to walk home?"

He groans. "Thanks for reminding me, lovely."

Lovely.

"You're welcome," I reply. He looks to me and starts laughing.

"What?" I question, thinking I have a booger hanging or that my hair has a bump in the ponytail.

"You took that compliment so much better than anyone else has," he says.

"Really?" I smile, my voice asking for more information. He gets the hint.

"Some girls ask for my number. Others giggle and compliment me back over-the-top. Some even just glare at me," he says, letting out a light laugh.

"Must be tough being a guy," I comment sarcastically.

His lips twitch into a smile. "Very. Your mom makes you eat more vegetables."

I laugh. This is the only time a guy has made me laugh in school, in fact, anywhere.

He smiles, knowing he now has my positive attention. "You said you weren't like those other girls. Staring for attention. What did you mean by that?"

"I mean... I wasn't needing a boy to make me happy. To make me feel loved. To make me feel better about myself," I reply honestly, and his mood has changed from silly to serious.

"Well I'm making you happy right now," he notes, and I nod.

"You are," I confirm.

"So maybe you just needed someone. Whether it be a guy or girl, you needed a friend," he says.

"I have friends," I reply, a little offended.

Just because I'm a nerd doesn't mean I don't have friends.

"Not ones that make you laugh at the things that make you human," he says seriously.

I look down at my hands, which are fiddling nervously. He's right. I can't always take a laugh at something like science or math equations that are easy.

"Why do you care?" I ask, realising it was the same line I used on him the day we first spoke words, in front of the entire football team.

"Are you okay?" he asks, and I can tell he asked that beforehand so he's repeating himself.

"I'm fine. Why do you care anyway?" I ask, and it immediately seems self-centred.

"Because he cares about everyone," a jock chimes in.

"This kid, little goodie-two shoes, is caring about everyone," Charles Gitnick says.

"I care because you're my friend," I hear Joey reply, knocking me out of my thoughts, but not completely.

"Is it true?" I ask, "that you care about everybody?"

He looks a little embarrassed. "Yes."

"Why? You don't have to or need to. Why do you want to care about everyone? It's not like everyone cares about you," I say, knowing that the last line came across quite harsh. Joey knew what I meant though.

"Because... Because that's what I've been taught. I'm not allowed to sit there and allow a girl to cry by herself or allow a boy to throw a fit and then be mad at everyone without venting," he explains, "it's just who I am."

"And who you are is genuine," I respond, and he shrugs.

"Sometimes. Other times I'm just annoying," he sighs.

"Well, to me you're the opposite of that," I say, and remember Joey's words from the supermarket.

"But we're both human. We're the same," he tries reasoning with me.

"I'm more like an alien compared to you," I say darkly.

"I think you're the opposite of that," he responds, and we lock eyes.

I break the gaze. "Thank you."

"Using my words now, Kate?" He questions, and we both laugh.

"Yes. I am."

----

A/n

So they're friends now... What do you thinks gonna happen?

:0

Love y'all

-Chloe xxx