Chapter Twenty Six

"You know, this isn't half bad." Niall's said beside me quietly, tucked under the blankets of my small bed. The room was dark and silent, the only sound being Sophia's slow, steady breathing. I looked up at him. "What isn't?"

"Just sitting here, doing absolutely nothing. It's nice." He said, picking up a strand of my hair.

"What, you've never just sat and done nothing, at all?"

"Well, usually, if I'm with a girl we're not sitting still."

I tensed up a bit. Hearing him talk about his sex life before him and I were together really puts me in a state of discomfort.

"You've never just laid there with a girl like this before?"

His eyes flicked away, grabbing his bottom lip between his two fingers. "Not for a while."

My mind flashed to Emily, making my stomach churn and my heart ache.

Niall seemed distressed, biting the inside of his cheek and rubbing his chin.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked softly.

He stared off into space, almost like memories were playing in his mind. A small smile crept onto his lips as he continued to look stare off into the oblivion that was his past.

"Yeah.." he said. My eyes widened in surprise. I didn't think he'd want to. He looked down and smiled faintly at me. I lifted myself up a bit, giving him my full attention.

"There was this... this girl, when I was younger, Emily Cullings."

I smiled softly. "She sounds sweet. What was she like?" I ask. His smiled widens.

"She had this light blonde hair that went a little past her shoulders, and the most beautiful brown eyes, they looked like chocolate."

"Really?" I ask. He grins, looking down. "Yeah. I always bought her chocolates, let her know that not only did I love her eyes, but I loved her."

"That's sweet, Niall." I smile.

He played with his fingers. "People always told us that we'd end up married with kids. They'd joke about how our kids would be blonde with blue eyes and brunette with brown eyes." he chuckled, but stopped. I look at him. "What is it?

He sniffed. "Nothing.."

I rubbed his hand. "You can talk to me, Niall. I'm here for you."

He nodded, twiddling his thumbs. "I just... remembered when she was moving away, and how upset her and I were. She promised me that we'd always be together. I promised her I'd visit her every chance I got. Then she..." he stopped, his sniffles and the soft thumps of his tears hitting the duvet the only sounds in the room being heard.

"It was raining that day, a constant downpour. They were driving down the highway, when a truck just.. I don't know, he just.. just drifted to the side, into their lane. They crashed head on, the left side of the car was destroyed. Everyone survived, miraculously. Emily.. she.. She didn't." he said, a choked sob breaking through his shaking lips. I reached around to hold him, but I stopped.

What if he doesn't want my affection? What if he's still in love with Emily, will this hurt him to much? I don't want to do anything to upset him, especially right now.

I slowly pulled my arms away from him. He looked up at me with tears in his eyes, then he reached over, wrapping his arms around my torso, setting his head on my chest.

I slowly set my arms round his shoulders, rubbing his back.

"It's okay, Niall. Just... let it out. Just let it all out, don't hold it back." I said soothingly. He cried, holding me tighter. I rubbed the back of his neck, combing my hand through his hair, kissing the top of his head.