Twenty

I woke up to my alarm beeping. I turned it off and sat up, stretching. I stood up and opened the window, letting the fresh air blow through. I took a deep breathe, the smell of freshly cut grass making me smile.

I ran to the bathroom and took a shower, letting my hair fall to the middle of my back as I brushed through it. My hair has gotten so long in the past few months, I might need to get it cut again. I put on some makeup and brushed my teeth, heading back to the room.

"You're up early." Cami yawned. I smiled. "Good morning, Cami." she smiled back. "Why so cheery?"

"I just woke up happy. Not sure why, but I'm just going with it." I said, putting on underwear. I looked through my closet until I found a grey tank top that said Paradise, regular high waist shorts, and peach tiedye Vans. I put on some mascara and eyeliner and rubbed Chapstick on my lips, grabbing my bag and guitar. I put on a gold dream catcher necklace and waved to her.

"I'm gonna head out." I called. She waved back and fell back onto her bed. I closed the door and walked outside, Louis and a car in the parking space in front of me.

"Hey Lou." I said. He smiled. "Hey Lane."

"Who's car is this?" I asked, walking over. I ran my hand over the dark red hood of the car. "1970 Cadillac DeVille. Nice."

"You know about cars?" he asked. I shrugged. "A bit. My dad was a grease monkey, he loved working on them."
He nodded. "Well, I just got it. It's sort of an early birthday present from my mum." I rubbed the hood one more time, smiling. "It's really nice."

"I actually came over to give you a ride, hop in." he said, taking my bags from me. I smiled, jumping inside. He climbed in, turning the key in the ignition. The engine roared to life, making me smile. He pulled out of the parking lot, making a right, the opposite direction of my class.

"Louis, why are you going this way?" I yelled over the roaring wind and the music.

"We're going for a drive."

"But I'll be late for class." I said. He shrugged. "So?"

"So, I don't want to miss another day of class. I'll fall behind."

"Delaney, you will not fall behind for missing another day of classes." he said. I narrowed my eyes. "You don't know that."

He rolled his eyes. "You're such a prune."

"I am NOT." I scoffed. He snorted. "Then sit back and enjoy the ride."

I huffed and sat back, letting the wind blow my hair away from my face. He drove us down the road into the city. As he drove past the buildings, I couldn't help but watch them zoom by. He made another right turn and parked in a parking lot.

"Ready to go, Prune?" He asked. I looked at him. "Go where?"

"Walking, around the city. I know you haven't been around to look." he said. I nodded. "Can I stick my stuff in the trunk?"

He nodded, popping it open for me. I stuffed my things inside, shutting it. As we started walking down the sidewalk, I hit the back of his head.

"Ow, what the hell?"

"Don't call me a prune." I said. He rubbed his head and continued walking with me. He lead me around the city, showing me buildings and such. After a few hours of walking, he brought me to a vintage restaurant with red vinyl seats, chrome, black and white checkered floors. The booths were even made of old car seats.

"This place is amazing." I said in awe. He laughed. "I love the whole 50's look." I added, sliding into a booth. He slid into the one in front, grabbing a menu. We scanned through them as our waitress walked over.