Chapter 28 - It's Too Late (Edited)

Jason POV :
"You see Jason... There is a prophecy... No one knows about... "

I felt pain all over my body from that fall, but I paid no attention to it because of the anger that was rushing through me. He was looking at me in the eye smirking. I was using up all of my energy to control myself from killing him right now and right here. He was the one who was threating Rose, my mate. Just the thought of it made me growl. I could feel my canines showing and claws extending. I could even feel the fur growing on top of my hands and cheeks.

Before I could do anything, my head snapped at his direction once he told me what was the prophecy. He was joking right? There was no way that what he said was real. He was just making excuses. I knew he only wanted to kill Rose just because her mom was his mate and she refused to be with him. He must be crazy to think that I would let him touch a hair on her head. A small smile was forming on my face once I thought that I would kill him and get back to her where she needs me... Where I need her.

He must saw my smile and started laughing. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"You think that you're smart because you finally found me, don't you? When actually you are only a fool. " he said between laughs. That made me growl even louder. We would see who will be laughing when I cut his throat out with my teeth.

"You fell right through my trap like a little mouse... I knew she would be angry and wouldn't want to see you... One of my memebers sent her dad away so he can meet his death... By that, she will be all alone and you were stupid enough to leave her. I sent Luke and Zack to finish her...  When you go back, she will be already gone... That's if you went back... I didn't kill your parents to be Alpha just so you can take it away. "

Before I could process anything, he shifted to his dark gray wolf and attacked. I managed to shift into my black wolf just before he even touched me. He was mad... Like really mad.

He went to bite my neck but I moved fast enough to avoid it and bit his front leg. He snarled in pain but went through another attack. He managed this time to scratch my abdomen. I let out a growl. We were both standing on our behind legs while snapping on each other necks and faces while clawing each other on the shoulders and chests. Both of our fur was covered in our own blood. Since both of us had the Alpha blood, we were both strong. By the end of the fight, we will see who was stronger.

Both of us stood back on our four legs and started circling each other. Then he suddenly caught me from my neck and threw me on a tree. The impact was so strong, the tree cracked under my weigh. I went falling on the ground while the tree fell down the other way. I didn't know who made the louder thud.

I whimpered in pain. I tried to get up but everything hurt. I opened my eyes slowly to see him approaching me slowly. I tried to get up again but failed miserably. No! No!  This couldn't be over. Rose needed me. Come on stupid legs, work! 

When he was few feets away from where I laid, he started running towards me. I closed my eyes tight and felt a single tear drop down my cheek. This wasn't how I imagined my death. I imagined my death to be on a bed, surrounded by my children, our children. Rose's angelic face staring down on me, but I was going to die and the last time I saw Rose was her crying and angry. I could do nothing about it. I failed the one thing I promised to do and that to protect her.

'I am sorry Rose'

I heard a huge thud which made my eyes open wide. I didn't feel any extra pain. When I looked at his direction, I didn't find him. Instead, he was laying unconscious next to a tree opposite to where I was. Then out of nowhere comes a wolf. He approached me and helped me up. I knew who he was. He was Matthew.

'Go find her... I will take care of him.' he said in mind link.

'Why are you helping me? ' I always thought he hated me. Why the sudden change?

'I knew about him and his plans for so long now... I never liked him... I was loyal to your father and I promised to take care of you... I couldn't turn on Rob then because he could kill me...  But now I only serve the true Alpha of this pack.'

I nodded to him and smiled. Now that I thought about it, he was more like a father figure to me more than Rob ever did. I appreciated his loyalty. My father did put his trust in him and I understood why. He cared.

We both snapped our heads to Rob. He was conscious now and started standing up. I growled and tried to run to him only to get stopped by Matthew.

'I'll handle him... You go.' he said and I nodded before I ran into the depths  of the forest.

I ran in a maximum speed trying to arrive to Rose's house as soon as possible. I prayed along the way that Rob was wrong, and that Rose was still alive. I finally got a glimpse of her house and I ran even faster. I didn't hesitate to break the front door open. Once I did I gasped at the sight. Everything was a mess. It was like a turnado flew around here. There was glass on the ground. The photos that were once on the wall were shattered on the floor. I went to the dining room where I found a pool of blood.

I saw Luke laying on the floor as blood was flowing all around him. A stick that looked like a chair's leg was stabbed in his chest. From his smell I knew he was dead. It was not too long ago. I followed Rose's scent to the kitchen. I growled when I also caught Zack's scent. Once I tracked it down I ran through the back door and into the forest.

I stopped when I heard movement. I snarled in disgust when I caught Zack's scent. He was heading to my direction. I hid behind a tree.  Before he knew it, I caught hold of his neck in my teeth. He tried to fight back but it was no use under my death grip. When he started to have a hard time breathing he started to whimper until I could no longer hear his heart. I spit him out. I didn't have time to look at him since I was too anxious to see Rose.

I found myself going in the direction of the lake that I showed her before. Once I was there the scent disappeared. I looked right and left to see where did she go. It was impossible for her to vanish. I walked slowly towards the lake while watching very carefully my surroundings.

Once I was just inches away from touching the water, I almost jumped in fright of what I saw. It was Rose underneath the water. Her eyes were closed and her hair was following in all sort of directions mimicking the water movements. It was close to sunrise but the moon stood right above the lake showing me her complete view.

I barked and barked to see if she reacts. I shifted back to my human form and stretched my arm trying to reach her. To my surprise, when I touched the water, it felt like touching a hard solid surface.

"What the... "

I tried again and it didn't work.

"No! No! This can't be happening... "

I even tried to punch the water and it wouldn't crack.

"No no... Rose... Please don't leave me. "

I felt the tears which were slowly running down my cheeks.

"Please Rose... Please! I knew I didn't deserve you... Just please! Come back and I will be the man you deserve to have ... Just don't leave.... "

I was gripping my jeans so tight while staring down at Rose. Was this my punishment? For being a bad mate?

I was sobbing. I didn't care if anyone saw me or heard me. I just lost the most precious thing I could ever wish for. I wish I thought of that once I saw her at school. Now she was gone and once again I turned into a soulless body with no beating heart. For my heart only beats when she was around, when she was with me, it beats for her. And her only.

I was gifted with a mate when I didn't deserve one. It was my FAULT SHE WAS GONE. For once, I wished Matthew never came. So I would be dead and never had to see this scene. So I would be dead and run hand in hand with my mate.

"I am so sorry Rose... For everything. "
I whispered.