Chapter 29 - The Training Camp

They slipped through the stream to a clearing in the forest just outside of the army training camp. Mountains loomed over them and a sharp winter wind cut through Avery's layers of clothing.

"Wow. That's cold." She lifted the hood of the jacket and stuffed her gloved hands in her pockets. A brilliant winter sun reflected off the snowy peaks and ice crystals sparkled in the air. "How far is it to the camp?"

"Just a few minutes' walk," Arctos reassured her. "The soldiers are wound rather tight with all the training. The primes have set up wards to prevent anyone from opening a stream right in camp."

As they approached the camp that was more of a townsite, a group of sentries greeted them on the perimeter. 'Greeted' was a generous term.

"Your pet faunid was just here, snooping around. Nothing has changed in the last week," one of them said, evidently a male with some power and authority to address the alpha primes so rudely.

Arctos just sighed. "Really Jaret, don't you even try to come up with new insults? The pet metaphor is so last century."

The sapien called Jaret let out a snarl and that sent shivers down Avery's spine. She shifted closer to Roedin feeling his comforting warmth beside her.

"We have business to discuss, Prime Jaret. We are here to meet with you and make plans for the future of the Corinthian territory, of which you are still a part." Hayden held Jaret's stare, daring the prime to say otherwise. "We'll be staying at the captain's house, so please ensure your officers have vacated it immediately. No need for housekeepers."

Prime Jaret sniffed the air and sneered at Hayden. "Is that because you brought your own human slave? I could smell her stench on the wind. Really, Alpha Primes, I'm surprised you found it so easy to go back to the 'old ways'." He peered around the alpha pack to get a better look at Avery.

Hayden clenched his jaw but kept his voice steady. "The human is in my employ and under my protection. You, and the rest of camp, will do well to remember what happens to those who break the Common Law. I am very protective of good employees." He gave Avery a reassuring look.

But Jaret didn't take kindly to the threat. He curled his lip in disgust and looked Avery up and down, like he could guess what was beneath her thick layers of clothing.

"Well maybe she would like to pick up some extra 'work' around the camp during your stay. Plenty of business opportunities here," he implied.

Both Arctos and Roedin let out a growl and Niamh and Adelyn took a step forward. But Avery also moved quickly, stepping around Adelyn and whispering, "Don't let me die," as she walked by. She stopped out of reach of Jaret but in front of the others.

"I accept your offer, but my rates are exorbitant," she drawled with cocky confidence.

Roedin's eyes went wide and Adelyn put a warning hand on his arm to keep him still.

"The Alpha Primes tell me that your warriors seem to be unable to follow basic assembly instructions. How very embarrassing for you. Not to worry! I've agreed to take time out of my very busy schedule to show them how it's done. I'll use smaller words this time. Maybe more pictures?" Avery suggested.

"How dare--"

Avery cut him off. "It will cost you, however, since I'll have to adjust my rates to include danger-pay due to apparent risk of life and limb, particularly since your soldiers seem to be so undisciplined and unruly. You really ought to look into that. It will certainly make your camp more appealing for future 'business opportunities'."